For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic don't know what 2 do Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By katiesmom On 2007.11.28 18:16
Dad has been diagnosed with pd for 20 years (he's only 52). His hallucinations, delusions and paranoia are severely affecting his life. He is absolutely sure the neighbors are spying on him, he's torn apart walls to look for microphones. He's told mom that she and him are in danger of being killed and he's had dead threats. He's broken into the neighbors houses, they haven't pressed charges (yet). The walls, pictures and painting talk to him. He sees dead friends and relatives. The list could go on and on with examples.
He refuses to allow any of us to help regulate meds. Takes as little or as much meds as he wants. He doesn't sleep or eat well. Doesn't trust mom anymore. (She's been in a hotel for the past 2 days because things have gotten so bad) Dad sees a psychiatrist, but he doesn't trust him either. The past week has been hell!!! He's made several of his delusions into reality. My question is what do we do?! We've asked him to check himself into the hospital...he says no I'm fine now. We've thought about calling the sheriff when he's threatened mom, but dad says he'll kill himself before he lets the sheriff take him away. (Just recently in our town a sheriff killed a man when they were called to his house for a suicide watch, so we are fearful of that option). How do we get power of attorney, get him into a psych ward? Make him sleep? Take his meds. Any advice would be welcomed.
Thanks

By LOHENGR1N On 2007.11.28 19:07
It's imperitive He take the right dose of med's! Talk to His NEURO about options of getting Him into some help. He really doesn't need a psych ward I don't think but he does need to take his meds (at first I was thinking he needed to adjust meds down but as you discribe his habit of taking meds he needs to get on a scedule 1st then adjust accordingly.). I would ask the Neuro not the psychiatrist! I have a friend who has P.D. and got his knee opperated on then went for rehab at resthome, to make a long story short He was clowning around when a nurse was in his room about not wanting to be there a long time she took him seriously the homes psych prozac'd him and he was in fetal posission for two weeks fom that. The Neuro knows much more about P.D. and it's effects and the meds effects than his psychiatrist does. Good luck and please keep us posted! Sincerely Al

By Pearly4 On 2007.11.29 06:10
You're in a difficult position to say the least! Definitely Parkinson's meds can cause some delusions, nightmares, hallucinations, etc., but at this point it sounds like he's gone a bit to far for anyone to rationalize with him in any way. I'd definitely contact his neuro (if he has one) what he can do, but my experience with docs is that he'd defer to the psych at this point. I think getting him admitted if he's not a danger to anyone but himself is difficult without the courts, lawyers and time. Your neighbors and mom may all think they're doing the best thing for him by not filing legal complaints but it may be the only way to get him treated at this point. Waiting for an emergency 911 call when everyone is on edge and lights are flashing, etc., would be worse.

My mother has been paranoid and upset enough she refused meds for two days until she was in severe pain and psych problems were out of control. We threatened to drive her to the ER and leave her there which would involve a mandatory stay for evaluation, called my brothers who told her same thing, and she finally gave in. A "stubborn ol' fool" with psych problems, possibly some dementia, parkinson's won't give in that easily, but you could try, or possibly his doctors can talk him down.......no quick answers, just a lot of prayers sent your way.

By Moe001 On 2007.11.29 11:59
We have been dealing with the same exact issues for 3 years now with my FIL. He is 60 and has had PD for 10 years. It took numerous visits to the hospital via 911 calls to finally get him placed into an assisted living facility. They always admitted him to the ER on a 5150 and kept him for a few days. He is a danger to himself, and that's enough to get him admitted. Work with his neurologist to schedule a "medicine holiday" - this is were he is weaned from all his meds and each one is introduced back into his system gradually to figure out which meds he is having the adverse reaction to. This may or may not help him. MY FIL was on tons of PD meds, including large dosages of Sinemet, Sinemet CR, Requip and Comtan. They took away his CR, Requip and Comtan and it did seem to help temporarily, but his dementia is still severe. In our situation, my FIL was evicted from the assisted living facility after 6 months because he became too hard to handle. From that point, he was in and out of board and care facilities every few months because his paranoia, sundowing and threatening to kill other residents. This has been a nightmare for our family and I completely emphathize with your situation. I have found that it is especially difficult because of his young age. There are simply more options for those 60+ years. I would be happy to answer any questions or help in any way I can.

By annwood On 2007.11.29 19:11
So very sorry you are going through this. I think all of the responses have suggested contacting his physician (I hope it is a neurologist). Your problem right now is a legal one in that you do not have Power of Attorney nor does your mother.
That definitely needs to be done pronto because this is only going to get worse. Consult with an attorney or call the Council on Aging.

There are many meds available for the paronia. My husband is on Clozapine, Clonazapam, Serequel and Excelon. As you probably know, there is no way to talk them out of the irrtinal thoughts and you are wasting your time if you try. My husband has been crying for 3 days because he thinks I am going to sell the house and leave him. This all started because I had the entry hall painted! He was also discharged from a nursing home after 30 days because they found him to difficult. Only today the Hospice nurse said he was the most difficult case she had encountered. Makes me feel a little better about my anger.

Keep posting - we all come up with a lot of great ideas to help and if not we are here to listen. I find posting helps me relieve my tension.

By katiesmom On 2007.11.30 12:29
Thanks for all the responses, it really helps to read what other people have done and are going through. It's nice to know were not alone. Just after I posted the first message, dad was taken to the ER by a friend that he still trusts. They have him in the psych ward and he's doing ok. We've learned that his hallucinations were quite vivid and he really thought he was going to die.
The main problem now is that the hospital is focusing on the psych so much and his pd meds are being ignored. He only had one dopamine pill in 12 hours so he was frozen this morning. I have a few calls into his neurologist (who is 4 hours away) and one to pallitive service at the hospital. We'll see. Hopefully this hospital stay will help.

We really need to look into the future to see how to prevent this from happening again. And we really do need to get power of attorney into mom's hands. This seems like a fight we will never stop fighting.

By punky On 2007.11.30 14:45
Where the hell are his doctors? They can have him hospitalized as a danger to himself or others. If necessary hospital attendants can come to the house, restrain him, and transport him to a hospital. They're trained to handle these situations with compassion. Power of attorney can either be mandated by a court on the assessment of need made by his doctor and is something you should have on hand. Hopefully you'll not have ot use it but it's there as you makee your plans for the future. He needs your help now more than ever! God bless and good luck!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you