For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Haldol Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By annwood On 2007.12.02 21:47
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the use of Haldol In PD? It has worked wonders for my husband. He is able to sleep and he is no longer anxious. His OT telephoned me today to check on him and told me that Haldol is contraindicated in PT pts.

By kuttlewis On 2007.12.03 09:40
My husband's reaction to Haldol was awful and that's why it's on his allergy list. But, every PD is different. Sing halleluja if it works for your husband.

By annwood On 2007.12.03 16:14
So far so good but I am always wary of a new drug. It sometimes takes a few days for adverse effects to set in. Right now it is keepin him calm. I have sent an email to his neurologist since it was the Hospice MD who prescribed Haldol. Somewhere in my mind I think there is a problem in using it with PD pts.

By Pearly4 On 2007.12.03 18:10
I think you're right, but I know that Ativan isn't supposed to be used either, but my mother has had VERY good reactions to it and was on it chronically for a long time - ok, they were using it to treat a slipped disc and sciatic nerve pain, but hey, it worked on her anxiety as it was supposed to and she never seemed to ahve a bad reaction. I've often thought of asking to have it restarted.

Bottom line, I'm with the others -- if it works, go for it!

By annwood On 2007.12.04 23:10
Yes the neuro tells me that Haldol is not a med for PD patients - it actually can worsen the PD symptoms. He has no problem with Ativan. Tonight is his first night home since last Thursday and so far he has remained calm. The neuro is reducing his PD meds gradually because they are of little help now and may actually be contributing to his dementia. I don't think he is going to be here by Xmas. So very sad to see a vibrant, intelligent man reduced to this state. I know that this disease had affected me and how I look at life. Don't you ever wonder if you can just be what you are and not keep growing from life experiences?

By Pearly4 On 2007.12.05 18:10
Actually it crosses my mind occasionally to wonder whether I'll survive all this! Honestly, the stress -- the longterm effects of stress -- how much are we shortening our own lives?! Not that I'd do anything different I suppose - or, at least, not for my own good, but I wonder sometimes how much misery I've added to my mother's life by bringing her here. If left in her home, she'd maybe have died sooner, but maybe would have been happier. Oh well....whatever happened to that rewind button on life?!

By colettem On 2007.12.05 23:14
I heard a story yesterday from our neurologist about a woman who cared for her husband for years with Alzheimers. He finally passed away and within a week she suffered a stroke and died also. The children blamed their father's condition for both of their deaths. Not too encouraging, I know. But it does reveal how affected a caregiver can be. I'd like that rewind button, too, knowing what we know now about my mom's condition. But who can know. You do the best you can at the time and hope.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you