For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic New to forum Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Ilovemydog On 2008.01.28 17:48
Hello everyone !! I stumbled over this forum today, and boy am I glad.
My Dad has had pd for about 12 years now,,,he is 83. He hasn't drove in a few years so I have always been his taxi. My mom was his caregiver, so full of life , never sick a day in that life , until suddenly last may she passed away.
Leaving my dad in that house by himself was heartbreaking. After a few short weeks, I realize he coulld not live by himself.
I have 5 other siblings who live in the area, but I have the largest home, so here he is now,,,,,,sometimes wanting me to pull my eyes out !!
It has been a great challenge for my 2 teenage kids, but they are managing. My hub is great, but hey he is at work all day.
My dad is still able to walk, bath himself, etc,,,,but I see him going down hill. His speech is not great, he as obbessive complusive disorders and doesn't sleep much. He says he sleeps at night, and he might for a few hours,,,,but I know he doesn't sleep during the day because I am with him.
I am trying to take each day as it comes and to try to take care of myself. I am just greatful that I found this website. I plan to spend the next few days reading everyone's post.

By Pearly4 On 2008.01.28 19:36
Welcome to the forum! Its a great place to vent and share ideas. Don't get too depressed reading our posts - you really have to develop a sense of humor and work hard at not losing it.

By punky On 2008.01.28 19:54
And keep it always present in your mind that PD is different and reacts differently with every patient. Medications differ, moods differ, angry and mistrusting one day and giggly and loving the next responses, acceptances, humor, cranky, quiet and ranting ... all a part of it on any given day week or month. We just never know but it sure does help to hear the occasional "me too, I have that also, my dad/mom/husband/wife/daughter whatever ... does the same thing. It sure helps to know we're not alone. Be happy when you can, sad when you need to be; cry when you need to and laugh out loud as often as you can! Good luck .

By annwood On 2008.01.28 22:04
Welcome to our little group. I hope that you find as much comfort from them as I have. We are in the trenches with you. At first it may seem odd to pour out your soul to a group of strangers but before you know it they become your family. We are here for the ups and the downs - there are always pleanty of both. I have found myself so exhausted that I couldn't put one foot in front of the other but I would get onto the Forum because they would understand.

My best advice to you is try to keep your sense of humor - it will keep you sane. You need to make arrangements to get out of the house for an hour or two a few days a week - if you don't you will go crazy. Try to remember that you father's strange behavior is not him but the disease or the medications. You will feel sad, angry, guilty and most of all exhausted. We all do. All you can do is your best. You are not perfect and you will make mistakes. Don't beat up on yourself. When the other family members criticize, and they probably will, remember you are the one who stepped up to the plate. It is very easy to criticize when you are outside the situation. While I am sure it is difficult for your teenage boys remember they are learning some valuable life lessons first hand. They will hopefully learn compassion and caring, traits which usually come to us later in life. I saw this happen with my teenage grandsons.

By sooboo On 2008.01.29 03:31
Welcome to our corner of the web! This forum has been a godsend for me. No one gets what it's like to care for your loved one with PD except the people that are doing it. I too have found a lot of comfort here as well as solutions to problems that seemed overwhelming. Everyone here is very generous with their concern, advice and shoulders to lean on.

By Ilovemydog On 2008.01.29 06:09
Thanks everyone for your replies !! Means alot to me.

Ann....I am getting out a few times a week , for a few hours,,,today I have a mammogram and I couldn't be more excited !! Can you believe that??

By annwood On 2008.01.29 08:21
Yes, I remember that elated feeling when I went to the dentist. Strange how we start appreciating the little things like going somewhere by yourself and not having that responsibility for even a short while. When it is all over you still find yourself looking at your watch. Getting used to total freedom takes some time.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you