For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic sleep suggestions? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2009.01.02 07:17
My husband's sleep pattern has really changed with PD annd we are almost barely 3 years post dx. We are now waking up around 4-4:30am every day. I sleep with him, I would take a break from this if I could but we have no spare room of any kind I could sleep in. I guess I could sleep in the dog bed, lol. Once I am awakened, I cannot get back to sleep. When he gets home, he usually takes a nap, and I have to keep our kids quiet so he can rest. I do not get a break and I am not sure what to do as the sleep interruption/deprivation is beginning to take a toll. I am in disbelief when I hear people say they slept until 9 or even later, I cannot imagine getting that much rest.

This morning he got up and when I asked him what time it was he said "5:30", and I was so pleased to have gotten that extra hour, only to find out an hour and a half later that he had misread the clock and it was really 4:30. I barked at him for this and he left very early for work, I am ashamed I feel I ran him off over something he cannnot help and I am so tired.

We have asekd our neuro about this and he suggested ambien but I have read many many places it does not work. We tried melatonin, as well, which also did not help. Any suggestions on this?

By annwood On 2009.01.02 11:11
I believe the fatigue associated with caregiving is the hardest part.

Sometimes early awakening is associated with depression - ask the neuro about that possibility. I also think PD pts sleep in short bursts and this is probably due to muscular problems. They are not able to turn and resposition themselves naturally as they sleep and the effort to move causes them to awaken. One of the things we forget is the PD pts behavior will not change so we have to adapt or change ours.

My husband was an OB physician so I had become used to being awakened in the night and then being able to go back to sleep. I also took a 25mg Benadryl at bedtime to help me sleep. This is harmless and non adictive so you might try that.

How about sleeping on the couch or purchasing a twin size blow up mattress for the living room?

Good luck and Happy New Year!

By bandido1 On 2009.01.02 13:23
lurking: My neuro's RX for 'REM' BEHAVIOR OF SLEEP" is 0.5 mg Clonazepam at bedtme--knocks me out except for the 3am pit stop we 70 yr olders must live with.
2 tylenol PM tablets have also worked for me. Bob C

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you