For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic tract infection Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jchaffin On 2009.01.05 13:09
Recently my PD husband had a urinary tract infection and had to go to the doctor. He had the infection for a few days before he mentioned it on the weekend. On Monday as soon as the doctors office opened I called and we went in but by then he was having some problems with being disoriented and hallucinations. During this time he slept little and would roam around at night wanting to go to the bathroom or go home. One morning he called 911 because he thought someone was in our house and two times he went outside during the night before we new it. I now have alarms installed on the doors to prevent that from happening again. They gave him ciprofloxacin to take for 10 days. He is better now but is having problems with his on/off walking. This was frightening but I was blessed to have my daughter home at the time. We have also stared a new medication called Ropinirole. He has taken it for about a week. It seems like changes are happening so fast.
Thank you for all the posts. I try to read them as often as I can because it helps to know you are not alone in this fight and it helps to understand that some of his actions are normal for PD patients. Thank You.

By Campbell On 2009.01.05 13:49
Just an FYI - there is an over the counter test kit for UTIs. My mom and I have found this a handy item to keep in the cabinet. Older folks can get so very confused with them. Maybe it can take some of the anxiety away if you see some behavior changes and wonder what is going on. You will still need to see someone for treatment but it could give you a sense of direction while trying to get a grasp on what is going on.

By lurkingforacure On 2009.01.05 17:05
If you do some research (ha, when do we have time) you will find many PDers swear their symptoms are much worse anytime they have any kind of cold, infection, etc. I think something about the extra inflammation may kick things into high gear, but who knows. It is very common. We try to keep my husband as healthy as possible, and unfortunately that means keeping him away from our young kids when they have a runny nose (frequently) because if he gets sick in any way, things are much worse. Meds don't work as well (like they work well anyway, again, ha), he feels much tireder (if possible), and his symptoms all increase. This includes infections of any kind, by the way. He takes Mytea, I have posted about this before, and he believes it helps him not only fend off colds, viruses, etc., but feel better in general. You can do a search for this on the forum if interested. Good luck.

By mylove On 2009.01.05 18:47
I'm not finding Mytea...can you link us? We are desperate to find something to help stave off all of the OTHER things that seem to wipe him so thoroughly out.... colds, flus, infections, etc.

My DH was in the hospital twice over the holidays, and goes back in again to the doctor tomorrow. His white count is up like nobody's business and no one can figure out what's wrong. If there were only SOMETHING we could try.

By jchaffin On 2009.01.05 18:49
Thanks for the information. jchaffin

By lurkingforacure On 2009.01.06 07:29
Yes, when we ordered the other day they told my husband they were probably going to give up the website, there is some problem with the domain name I think. At any rate, there are two ways you can order:
1. the dried herbs, which you must brew following strict and tedious instructions or
2. the tea already brewed, it's very expensive, as in fifty bucks a quart. We always buy the dried herbs.

Their phone number is 720-331-1063 and the email I have for them is MyTeaCompany@gmail.com and I believe they are out of Colorado. I hope it's OK to post this information, guess the moderators will let me know if I've broken any rules!

You MUST take this stuff on an empty stomach for it to really work as well as it is going to. My husband takes it first thing in the morning, a couple of hours before breakfast. He suffers from allergies and it has really helped him with this. He is very analytical and skeptical and has had to admit that when he quit taking it, to see if it did make a difference, he did feel "weaker" as he called it, and he did get his allergy cough back. I believe that is also when he got his last cold, over Thanksgiving. We were out of the Mytea then and won't let that happen again.

Another testimonial: his business associate is the one who gave us the first bottle of this stuff. He also has suffered allergies for years and began taking this stuff a year or so ago, no more allergies. I am not saying this stuff will work for everyone and if we told our neuro about it he would no doubt laugh us out of his office, but if my husband thinks it makes him feel better and his cough goes away, I don't care.

A word of caution: this stuff tastes like grass clippings! It is brown and murky and looks like my son's diaper when we brew it, but sometimes you just have to overlook things. Also, you will need GLASS jars to store this stuff in, I think one order of the herbs makes a gallon of the tea, and last time we ordered the herbs were about thirty bucks. No side effects for us other than just having to gag it down in the morning. I even took it for a week or so but since I don't have allergies to begin with, I couldn't justify making myself go through that every morninng, much as I love my husband.

I hope this helps everyone, there is increasing linkage to PD and the immune system, particularly research coming out of France. Some US researchers are also picking up on this. Who knows where that research will lead us but at least they are beginning to consider the possibility that PD is not limited strictly to the brain and that other systems may be involved. I will also post this reply as a separate thread so others can find it easily.

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you