For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Botox injections Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By happygranny On 2009.01.05 23:12
The most dibilitating of my husbands PD symptoms is the muscle contractions in his right arm bicept. It is very, very painful and cripples him throughout the day.

As he has ramped up to a good level of levo/carb, it has helped with the contractions and his other PD symptoms, including hallucinations, agitations, confusion etc.

However, that muscle contractions still comes on strong even when his med levels should be at their highest. He does not eat a high protein diet, he takes his meds 2 hours away from his constipation meds, so we don't know why the contractions are still so dibilitating.

His Neurologist is suggesting Botox injections in that muscles. I searched here and saw it mentioned in one message line about toe curling (sounded very sad).

Does anyone have more info about Botox injections pros and cons?

Thank you,

Jeannie

By susger8 On 2009.01.06 07:52
This is very interesting -- I had not heard of this before. It seems to work pretty well for dystonias, which makes sense, so it might be worth trying.

My dad has contractures of the feet which makes it even harder to walk than it already would be. This is giving me something to think about.

By kuttlewis On 2009.01.06 08:11
I don't know why neurologists are so fascinated by Botox and think it might be the answer to lots of different problems. My husband's right ankle is permanently twisted due to a long hospital stay and inadequate Sinemet doses. Despite my pleadings, the doctors did not brace his feet. After a year's rehabilitation at home, he can walk again, but only with a brace. An eminent neurologist thought Botox would help. I was present during the injections and thought there was a lot of gueswork going on. End result: No effect whatsoever, no improvement. My husband hated it.

A friend of mine has a shaky voice and a neurologist thought Botox could help. Yes, true, her voice was not as shaky but she could only speak in a whisper. It was awful. She swore she'd never do it again.

Even if, by a miracle, it does work, you still have to go back every three months or less. What do they know about the long-term effects of Botox? It is, after all, very poisonsous.

By Ilovemydog On 2009.01.06 09:36
My Dad's neuro has mentioned Botox for his drooling. He'll approve that, but not a hospital bed,,,,go figure.

By happygranny On 2009.01.06 11:09
Thank you all, for your input. It doesn't sound like a magic answer does it?

My husband is not keen on getting the shot and maybe he is right.

Has anyone had a good experience with Botox?

Jeannie

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you