For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Happy Days are just some bone marrow away Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2009.01.13 23:06
Wow, I could hardly believe it when I read this article. A lot of folks are going overseas for bone marrow stem cell treatments, and now it looks like it will be offered right here at home, and much sooner than I thought-trials are scheduled to begin 9/09 (apparently not for PD, but that's coming right behind the diabetes trial). Here's hoping this can really help a lot of folks, here's the link:

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/01/12/01122009wacStemCellGuy.html?imw=Y

By annwood On 2009.01.13 23:20
It looks promising! As I understand the research in the past it has been too difficult to control the stem cells but they seem to be on top of that. We did a study replacing knee meniscus but they were unable to get the tissue to stop growing. It is exciting to think we could eventually get rid of these d.. meds for PD.

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.01.13 23:45
Thanks for the heads up. I watch with guarded optimism.

By lurkingforacure On 2009.01.14 07:43
The lack of control of growth is only with embryonic stem cells, not adult stem cells taken from your own body. At least that's my layman's understanding. Another benefit of using one's own cells is that, at least to date, there has been no evidence of rejection, so no anti-rejection drugs needed! Using another person's (or weirder, another species') stem cells requires anti-rejection drugs, much like organ recipients must have, for life, and those cause drugs have a pretty high cancer causing rate. But for many people, they either get a new liver with cancer looming ahead, or no new liver. Not much of a choice. But with our own cells, well, this is not an issue. It's awesome.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by Woodworking-News.com
and
by people like you