For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic A suggestion we can all use Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2009.01.15 10:40
When we bought our a few years ago it came with XM radio (which has now merged with Sirius, both satellite radio stations)...at any rate, I was delighted to discover that there are FUNNY comedy channels on there. For XM, the stations are 150 and if you like Canadian humor (and how doesn't-those folks are doggone funny!) it's 153.

Now, you can NOT listen to these stations with kids in the car, my lord, the profanity, not to mention adult, and I mean adult, topics! But whenever I find myself blissfully alone in the car, I tune in. It is one of the best things for me. Sometimes I have almost had to pull of the road so I can wipe the tears from my eyes.

All of us know that laughter literally is a medicine and we can never get enough. I have had counselors and even a biofeedback expert tell me this. So tune in, and if you don't have XM or Sirius, perhaps consider getting it. You can get it for any car as well as for your home (we don't have that because of the kids). When our free subscription expired I bought the longest plan available because it was the cheapest per month and I knew I would be using it! Sometimes at night I will just go sit in the garage in the car and listen to the comedians, sad, I know, but it works for me.

Another benefit: if you hear a comedian on the radio you like, you can oftentimes find clips of them on Youtube.com which is free. I am going to share some of the folks I have heard and liked, and for those without XM/Sirius, check out their clips on youtube and see if they can bring a smile to your face! Here are some comedians who are really funny (and not as dirty as others):

George Carlin, of course,but sometimes a bit dark
Kathleen Madigan (one of the few women comedians I have heard who is side-splitting!)
Brian Regan (lordy, lordy, funny man)
Bob Marley (from Maine, with humor only a Maine man could have!!)

I don't sell XM or Sirius or have any financial ties to any of this stuff. I just think we caregivers get very few opportunities for laughter, and as I was listening to one of my favorite comedians this morning, I thought it would be so great if we could all get those gutt-busting laughs on a more regular basis. PS Sometimes my husband will listen with me, and he loves it as well.

By mylove On 2009.01.15 10:53
:)

Great idea! I had another one to add: NPR (National Public Radio), which runs some pretty funny stuff that my DH just loves. The other added bonus is that they run some programs in the evenings with music that is very mellow and conducive to restful relaxation. He uses NPR as his 'winding-down' time between work and bed.

By annwood On 2009.01.15 11:54
Laughter is about all that helps me and I highly recommend it when I speak to PD Caregivers. I am a big Bob & Tom fan in addition to the commedy channel. The more irreverant the better. Live has too many tragedies and if you don't have and maintain a sense of humor it is even harder.

By susger8 On 2009.01.15 12:15
I think listening to comedy has to be good for the person with PD as well!

I've had to ask my dad's health aide to stop leaving the TV on the news all the time because I think it's way too depressing for him. Heck, it's way too depressing for me.

By annwood On 2009.01.15 12:39
That made me remember something the Hospice nurse told me - never let the PD pt (advanced) watch the news or any program that required deep concentration. She said studies showed CNN and other news channels were too depressing and frightening for them. Cartoons work well and my husband loved AMC, the old movies. He never acquired my absurd sense of humor so the comedy channels never worked for him.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you