For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Annwood Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lynn On 2009.01.15 22:08
I've read your previous posts that the nursing home made you take your husband home. I can't imagine taking care of my pd husband at home if he also had dementia. My husband has had the rigid form of pd for 15 years and he is 65 yrs old.He is a big man, not overweight just big boned. He has not been diagnosed yet with dementia but I see definite mental changes.I've retained a geriatric nurse who helps match the patient with the care facility. My concern after hearing of your experience is are there nursing home available to care for PD pt. with dementia?

By annwood On 2009.01.15 22:44
Yes, there are nursing homes specific for dementia and Alzheimers pts but they are few and far between. There is generally a waiting list for such a facility so I would think you should get on a list if you even think you might need placement in the future. In my husband's case they would not accept him because I would not ok a feeding tube and they felt as if the liability was too great if he chocked. The geriatric nurse should be very helpful in that regard.

By lynn On 2009.01.16 16:04
thank you for your reply. I never thought of the possibility that the care facility would require a feeding tube.

By annwood On 2009.01.16 16:45
No they don't require one but in my husband's case we had established that he was aspirating when he ate or drank. He had directives from several years ago saying no feeding tube and I felt the same when the time came. In his condition I feel he would have quickly pulled it out anyway. He actually removed a cast from his arm when he fell and broke his wrist. He took the cast off during the night three days later.

By lynn On 2009.01.16 21:37
I know my husband is already aspirating. I think most PD pt with swallow problems do aspirate. Does this mean none of them can stay in a care facility without agreeing to a feeding tube? we've done the swallow studies and the LSVT program. He completes his voice exercises everyday. While he has improved, he coughs when he drinks liquid and he coughs during the night quite a bit. I don't think a feeding tube will help at night and we've decided against one anyway. I'm still concerned that this will be an issue with long term care facilities as your experience proves. I feel we've done what we can to improve his swallow function and the rest is in God's hand.

By annwood On 2009.01.16 22:07
You are correct in saying swallowing problems eventually develop with PD. In my husband's case they did a swallow test with a speech therapist present (I can't recall the exact name of the test) and that was how they determined that he was aspirating. The physician told me that he had to have a feeding tube, which I declined. I suppose at that point it became official. My problems with placement began then and I elected to bring him home with me. I would ask the geriatric nurse about this if I were you.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you