For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic taste, smell, noise, lights Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By caregivermary On 2009.01.17 20:35
My husb has started to have a problem with taste, noise, and lights. The taste issue concerns me the most. He is complaining most foods do not taste "the way they are suppose to taste". Is this common? My husb has always liked to eat and unfortunately, in the last two years has lost 25 lbs. Not being able to smell normal things has been an issue for a long time. Sensitivity to noise and lights is new but not a hugh deal as of now. He stopped taking Mirapex 3 months ago and is taking an increased amount of Sinement.

By annwood On 2009.01.17 21:06
Not sure of the mechanism but the loss of smell and taste changes are quite common in PD. How foods taste is precipitated by how they smell so the loss of appetite sort of goes with that. The nosie and light sensitivities I always felt were the result of being over stimulated. My husband could not tolerate a lot of people or activity during the last 2 or 3 yrs.

By bandido1 On 2009.01.19 10:29
As is usual Annwood has the right info. I usually have what I call A "whiteout" (light sensitivity) about 2 hours after taking morning meds. Also, I don't like to be aroound groups of chatty people and will often adjourn to this computer to escape.
Lastly, I lost both smell and taste until recently when a fellow PLM forum participant suggested pure hydrogenated virgin coconut oil. After about 3 weeks of trial i have about a 40 % recovery. Placebo effect?? Maybe but it worked for me. Bob C

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you