For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Play the wii, improve PD! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2009.06.11 17:35
Just when you were wondering what your loved one with PD can do to pass the time...this study shows the Wii games help with PD and reduce depression, siginificantly! Here's the link:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090611120744.htm

By mylove On 2009.06.11 19:55
Yahoo! Now I know what to get for Father's Day! ;) (Maybe I should get myself the Wii Fit while I'm at it.... )

By lurkingforacure On 2009.06.11 20:18
The wii fit also actually helps those with PD with their balance, and we bought that recently as well....I have used it a total of ONE time since I never have time....and my husband has yet to step foot on it, but the PWP that say they use it confirm that for them, it does help with balance. A win-win, since everyone in the house can use it. You should be able to get the wii fit at target for about ninety bucks (have to have the wii console to begin with, though) or costco for eighty. Hope it helps others as well.

By mylove On 2009.06.12 00:27
Actually, I was only half kidding. I've heard great things about it. Amen to anything that allows us to stay moving.

By mylove On 2010.11.16 23:24
Hey, I'm resurrecting this thread! :-D

We bought the Wii Fit balance board about a month ago, and it's GREAT! I know it might not work for everyone, but for those that can still get up and around, there's a big range of ability levels built into the programs and it definitely helps with body awareness and balance.

Shucks, it's even helping ME. (But then, Shakydog always was the one with better balance to begin with. Ironic, right? I can't stand on one leg to do yoga poses, but HE can!)

Speaking of.... I had thought briefly about signing us up for a yoga class. Has anyone here used yoga, and/or found it useful?

By karolinakitty On 2010.11.16 23:48
I would check on it my love but along with the exercise game(?) for Wii, they had, "let's Yoga" and "Quick Training Yoga" , both were discontinued in 2008. However... try your local gaming store, not sure what you have your way, but Game Stop is one i am familiar with. Also, try flea markets in your area. Most have an exchange store, or used game dealer inside.......

By mylove On 2010.11.17 00:27
I'm thinking the real live deal. The Parks and Rec has a yoga class. The only thing I worry is that we may need to go slower than the class. The Wii Fit Plus has some yoga, but they are pretty challenging.

By karolinakitty On 2010.11.17 00:51
Slower ... Shoot i wouldn't be able to do one position let alone my guy......

By karolinakitty On 2010.11.17 00:51
Slower ... Shoot i wouldn't be able to do one position let alone my guy......

By Emma On 2010.11.17 04:43
We have done yoga classes a couple of times in the past. Check around to see what is offered. The first one we took was offered at our local Yoga place and was called Gentle Yoga. It was meant for people recovering from illness or surgery but was just perfect for my husband. The next time we took a class at a health club that was for seniors. There were some younger people in there as well. That was pretty good too. My husband, who never cared much for exercise, LOVED these classes. Unfortunately he's not at a place where he could do them now, but they were very good for him (and me) at the time. One good thing about yoga is that it goes very slowly. Also, we found that yoga teachers are very kind gentle people. If you explain the situation I'm betting that he/she will be very helpful.

By susger8 On 2010.11.17 08:08
Yoga is great for caregivers, I can tell you that!

Many communities have classes in gentle yoga, or chair yoga, or yoga for seniors. I think they can be really helpful for someone with PD. My yoga teacher reminds us that you don't have to be able to get into complicated poses to do yoga. Anyone who can breathe can do some kind of yoga.

Sue

By mylove On 2010.11.17 09:25
I didn't know that there were different types of classes. I'll have to investigate this further and see if there is something like that offered in this area. I know that he expressed some interest in it, and it was something I'd always wanted to do too, so maybe if we both go we can inspire each other to keep going. I know that's half the battle with any activity. Overcoming inertia is a biggie.

As a side note, Shakydog tried Tai Chi and LOVED it. It helped him a lot. The only reason he quit was due to the issue we talked about earlier: the class was a general class, and it ended up going faster than he was able to. If there had been a different, lower-impact class, he would probably still be going. So, that's why we bought the Wii - with the thought that we could use it at our comfort level. And it's really been working. Hope we can keep some momentum!

All good things! The more we move (and I'm including myself in there!), the longer we'll be able to move. You know, how many of us are actively helping our spouses/parents physically - turning, lifting, assisting, etc? I'm thinking that if we knew when we were 20 that we'd be doing physical labor later in life we would have been more serious about keeping our own bodies in shape so it wouldn't be so hard on them. I have parents still living, and I know that when they become disabled it will be my role to assist them. I guess anything I do now to improve my health means I can do a better job later! That's the theory. Whether I have the self-discipline to keep up the exercise program is another thing! Life has a way of stealing our time, and the best laid plans of mice and men... well, you get the picture. :)

By packerman On 2010.11.17 10:31
our MDS gave us a Tai Chi dvd to try that is specific to PD patients.
(will look it up and let you know who produced it.)

By karolinakitty On 2010.11.17 10:58
How true your words are mylove... had i known how much physical stuff i'd be doing now i would have done more for myself...even though i used to lift very heavy things at work, i haven't worked for a while now and i've got soft...
However.... it's never to late... I just started a regiment of my own... this past week i got my new beach cruiser bike, and am ready to junk that mountain bike... i found that it is way too hard on these back country roads. The one i got has shocks and all so i am ready to roll.....
Also doing some aerobics to help tighten these old muscles and try and tone the bod a little.....

By Michele On 2010.11.17 19:12
About yoga - I can't say enough about the benefits both physical and mental. I started taking yoga classes before I became a caregiver -- primarily to help stress and anxiety. It was the best thing I have found for stress. If you can find a yoga studio in your area I highly recommend them. the atmosphere itself is calming and peaceful. to get away for a 90 minute class is bliss. Yoga studios usually have soft and gentle or beginners classes. My husband and I went to chair yoga classes at our local senior center. He loved the classes and looked forward to them. However, at that point he was already in a wheelchair with no balance but enjoyed them anyway. I agree that yoga teachers are caring and gentle. I think of yoga classes as a gift to myself.
p.s. Sue is right, you don't have to do any complicated "pretzel" poses to get the benefits of yoga. A good instructor will not push you beyond what you can safely do. Over time, you will be amazed at the progress you make in flexibility and strength.

By TiredTexan On 2010.11.17 20:31
We have the Wii with 5 games on a CD. We like the Bowling best - it is interactive (not a "Lone Ranger" type of game), and a good coordination exercise that involves body movement.

By lurkingforacure On 2010.11.17 20:56
The single thing every neuro we have seen recommends the most is exercise. "Delay the Disease" is a DVD put out by a PD organization-we got it but it is for fairly advanced PD and my husband (2 years at the time) stuffed it in a drawer. It was pricey, I think $25.00.

What we are doing now that seems to be helping is biking. He bought a good road bike, but I quickly realized he was not going to ride it without my going along....I have one right now on a trial basis. We rode Friday, saturday, sunday, and monday...he told me this morning, wednesday, that his joints weren't as painful and weren't making those cracking noises they were before. Now this could also be attributed to the coconut oil he takes every night (this may be part of the "snake oil in a can" posted about on another thread, which I thought was directly mainly at Alzheimer's) or the bike, or both, but I'll take it.

When I say "biking", I mean you go for at least 45 minutes. It's really hard to make time for it, but we go around our neighborhood instead of loading the bikes up, driving somewhere, unloading, and riding somewhere else. Saves time. I am not really in very good shape and this is a huge effort for me, on top of all the housework, food prep, laundry, yard, etc., but so far I am sticking with it. My going motivates him to go, and once out on the road, it's easier.

The other thing I've read about biking is that is also forces you to work on your balance, something we all need but especially PWP. I know not every PWP can begin a biking program but you would be surprised, even stationary biking would probably help, it's just so boring. Once outside on his bike, my husband gets fresh air and sunshine and the constantly changing scenery keeps things interesting.

You can pick up good road bikes and the accessories like helmets and shorts, sometimes on Craigslist. And if your PWP can't ride alone, they do have tandem bikes, but those are pretty pricey.

By mylove On 2010.11.17 21:30
We did that in the summer (when it wasn't prohibitively hot) and it WAS good. We also have an obese dachschund and got instructions from the vet to give her some exercise, so we took both dogs (the other is a whippet/border collie, and REALLY needs the exercise!) and did nightly walks. That was nice too, and the side benefit is that it took us out of the house (which can get confining in more ways than physically) and gave us some long stretches of peaceful time to leave the problems behind and just *be*. Sometimes we talked, sometimes we just walked, but the exercise has a way of clearing the cobwebs.

We don't do anything as often as we should, and I'm trying to carve out some time to do that. Lately, we've moved from medical crisis to medical crisis, so there hasn't been time or energy for anything beyond basic survival mode, but we're trying to pick it up again. Congrats for getting out and doing something! I really think it works.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you