For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Book holder device? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By aliciabp On 2009.06.17 10:45
My dad really misses reading books and magazines. He's able to read the daily paper at the kitchen table but shakes too much to hold a book in his recliner.

I'm researching devices online and thought I'd ask here if anyone has experience with specific devices.

Ideally, he needs something freestanding that can be beside his recliner or bed. This one looks interesting, if expensive.

http://www.bindependent.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=snw115

Thanks for any advice!

Alicia

By karolinakitty On 2009.06.18 16:00
only because i am "frugal"..cheap is more like it.. but how about thrift stores or flea markets ... even a pawn shop.. here's my thought .. an old music stand (former musician) attached to an old halogen stand up lamp ...... just a thought .....recycle/reuse ....

By esperando On 2009.07.12 03:14
Before I start, let me say that I do not have Parkinson's myself, but am involved with a man who does. These book "solutions" are ones that I have found and use for myself and figure they will become options for him potentially as well.

There are quite a few options online...the one I like is called a "flipklip" and is found at bluezap.com. It is fairly cheap. I ordered a couple of them, and I use them at the gym. Every time I use mine, someone stops and asks me about it, giving me various stories about their needs for holding books open. It seems to be a tool a lot of people appreciate.

I also have a Kindle, which is an electronic reader. Page turning is done with a push of a button. The font can also be changed to make it larger. However, the Kindle is quite expensive initially. The good news is that it is cheaper to download books ultimately than to pay for them in paper.

There is rarely much I can offer this forum so I was very excited to see I might have some info to contribute related to reading! Best of luck...

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.07.12 17:03
I'm answering this post with some trepidation. I don't want to be a nay-sayer, however as questions like this arise someone has to speak-up and express the downside of the issue. Seeing as I have broad shoulders and at times open my mouth to insert my foot I can take the heat generated by my statements.

While many things sound and look good, they do have drawbacks. Yes it is hard to read holding a book or magazine. So it sure sounds like a great idea to get a "stand" to hold the book steady and independent from the hands that tremor. Just be ready for acknowledgment of more symptoms or features of the disease. Hand and arm tremors are more visible and tend to hide underlying accompanying tremors of our eyes, slight rocking of our bodies etc. which when We take the hand/arm tremors from the equation are brought more to the forefront or more noticeable. If the patient hasn't realized these before they will then. Frustration may result. Sometimes, as We try adapting to the constant changes of Parkinson's Disease, our bodies do a fair job, as it looks awful to see us holding and reading the natural reaction from caregivers/partners is to try to make things easier or steadier. While this is well intended it could end up a bit sticky.

The same can be said of the voice/typing programs. Advertised as the best thing since sliced bread. For people with limited use or no use of their hands they may well be! However We are talking about Parkinson's Disease which robs Us of our speech also. I know not all of us but it messes with our speech. From whispers to flat monotone, slurring words, mumbling. All depending on Our medicine levels time of day, so the programs have difficulty recognizing what We say......frustrating!!! One can end up back to windows of operation when med levels are good to use these aids (like We do when trying to type).

I apologize to the readers if I sound like a wet blanket or seem to be raining on the parade. This is as You know a rotten disease which in time takes so much away. We search for "sun catchers" little items to lighten and brighten our days, to make things easier and there are some out there that do! The harsh reality of Parkinson's is while looking at the pros we have to look deeply at the cons! Again I'm sorry, I sound negative this is just a view from inside the disease considering the pluses and minuses and giving My input (that one might not think to consider) on some items. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By WitsEnd On 2009.07.13 09:48
Don't discount audio books as an option either. There's lot's to choose from for an ipod or amazon for download to an mp3 player....or there's still some on cd's too.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you