For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Suprapubic catheter anyone? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LaMissGirl On 2009.06.20 12:26
I've been a lurker for a while. Now I have a specific question. I'm the caregiver for my 69 yr old Mom since she had a stroke 4 1/2 yrs ago and was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's, though I suspect she's had it for some time, probably prior to the stroke.

She has been having increasingly difficult time urinating, very erratic, though. She just had a CMG test on her bladder- which determined that she really has very little sensation in her bladder. The doctor said he would order home health to come out & do in/out caths a twice a day for 2 weeks to get residual urine volumes & then we'll decide from there.. however, I think there's an issue with that being done & paid by medicare.. so we'll see.. and I may just nix the whole thing anyway.

There was mention by the urologist & a home health nurse about a suprapubic catheter being the answer. I need any opinions, 1st-hand experiences, the cons (I understand the pros), etc. I'm looking at this along the lines of a feeding tube, which my Mom has specifically said she never wants. I've not discussed in detail with my Mom yet because she will worry & obsess over it and we go back to the urologist in 2 weeks. I just want to have as much info as possible by then & a list of questions to ask. Thanks to everyone here- this is a wonderful source of info & encouragement.

By Pearly4 On 2009.06.20 14:31
The decisions we have to make -- my mom decreed never wanting feeding tubes, catheters, etc. long ago. Now she doesn't remember that -- hasn't come to that point but I dread the time that it does because I truly don't think she wants them, but she's going to say yes when the time comes. If it's at all possible I would have to say no, at least no if you're going to continue living at home because you can't handle it and I can't either. That leaves some poor nurses and aid in a nursing home to fight with you over it and you're going to hate living in a nursing home.

I would do so knowing full well it was probably the end of the road.

So, I'm with you on not wanting it, wish you luck in getting that across to people and wish you well and peace with your decisions.

By annwood On 2009.06.20 17:23
In my experience the suprapubic catheter is a comfort measure and not like a feeding tube which prolongs life - I am opposed to a feeding tube but would probably go ahead with the catheter. Residual urine is going to result in fequent kidney/bladder infections and it can also be quite painful. The suprapubic catheter can also result in infection but it is not as likely.

By Pearly4 On 2009.06.20 17:40
I think you should do some research on the care of a suprapubic catheter and evaluate in terms of your mother. My mother picks at things in her sleep -- she's picked at IV after IV and wakened more than once in a pool of blood. She doesn't leave bandages in place day or night, sleeping or awake, can't remember if she's changed or medicated or dosed or whatever and wouldn't/doesn't always tolerate our attempts to care for her.

Don't forget to bring the care of the catheter into your equation.

By LaMissGirl On 2009.06.21 10:50
thanks for the info, folks. Yes, Pearly4, I will definitely be asking about the daily care. From what little has been mentioned by the home health nurse, home health will change it out monthly, but I know I'll have to do the daily stuff. I just don't think we are there yet. Mom has had a couple of UTI's in the past year, but nothing major and were cleared up quickly. Our most frustrating issue is that Mom is not mobile, so she has to be put on a lift to the toilet & then often she can't go, even though she thought she needed to. That's not that big of a deal.. just an annoyance. If she starts to get more infections, then we'll consider it. I just hate for her to have to go through the procedure. Even minor things, like having this CMG test done, are a major deal. It's very difficult to get Mom up on an exam table, she's extremely sensitive to pain and everything hurts her.

I don't suppose anyone here has 1st-hand knowledge of a suprapubic catheter. I was wondering what affect this would have on bathing and how one would go about protecting the stoma- or whatever you call the opening.

Again, I think I'm just going to put this to rest for a while until it becomes acutely necessary & then we'll consider. But I will continue my research in the meantime so I'll know all I need to know.

Thanks y'all!

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you