For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Blood Pressure Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jchaffin On 2009.06.20 17:24
My husband has had PD for about 20 yrs now. He has difficult times but at this time his blood pressure is fluctuating. It has gone as low as 76/46 with a pulse rate of 76. It is normally about 108/60 with pulse about 75. Is this dangerous and should I call his doc about this. Thank you for any help in this matter.

By caregivermary On 2009.06.20 17:48
Low blood pressure is dangerous because of the falls or fainting it causes. If the person passes out, it also means less oxygen to the brain. You should call your Dr. soon and most likely your husband should be seen by a cardiologist. Other issues need to be ruled out before they decide it is Parkinson's med related. Keeping your husband's legs elevated when he is sitting down and also at night in bed does help. Also, make sure your are near him when he is getting out of bed or getting out of a chair. This is when the chances for fainting or falling are the greatest. Increased sinemet caused my husband to have extremely low pressure. He is 20 years into this disease. Take care!

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.06.20 19:26
jchaffin, and all caregiving partners, Don't you all, at times, think that the medical profession is doing a great disservice? When the diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease is delivered. I have come to believe The Doctor should turn to whomever is there with the patient and hand them a magnifying glass, pipe and hat, informing them they now have Sherlock Homes Syndrome! That You now will be beset by many mysteries and symptoms. You will have to try to sort out what is Parkinson's Disease related and not!

As to blood pressure fluctuations? As Mary said could be Parkinson's medicine related, or just plain Parkinson's related (the autonomic nervous system which regulates blood pressure also could be effected to the point of erratic fluctuations in pressure) or something else. I'd say call the Doctor, ask for some cardio work up to rule it out. Better to be safe than sorry. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By bandido1 On 2009.06.21 16:46
jchaffin: a second patient opinion---I agree with Lohengr1n you should seek a doctor's view. I have a cardiologist, neuro and internist all looking after me (so to speak) but they cannot agree on the source of my blood pressure fluctuations--usally low (under 100/60s) in the a.m. and usually back to normal by p.m. Once in a while it jumps tot the high side requiring a different med. see the doc! Bob C

By lynn On 2009.06.21 18:52
My husband is in good shape except for the PD. his BP is always low now and he's not dizzy or lightheaded. All the doctors have confirmed it's the PD or PD drugs. I have the compression stockings handy for when I need them.

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you