For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Mail Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Mary On 2009.06.23 10:43
My Dad loves to get mail. He orders from and donates to everything that is mailed to him. I want to stop giving him his mail. Thoughts please, thank you, Mary

By WitsEnd On 2009.06.23 11:29
If it were me, I wouldn't stop his mail completely if he loves to get mail. I'd tell him you'll take care of the bills so he doesn't need to see those. Also because there's so much identify theft out there that it is best to get on the lists to reduce credit card offers and such coming in the mail. I'd sign him up then to reduce the inflow.

If I could then I'd screen what I gave him of what's left and arrange to get magazines or something else he would enjoy coming his way so he would still get the thrill of getting some mail. There may be even some organizations out there that have "pen pals" that can send cards and letters to the elderly to keep their spirits up. Might be worth looking into.

By susger8 On 2009.06.23 11:49
My solution was to lock the checkbook and the credit cards in the desk. Dad still enjoys opening the mail. I do have to be careful, though, because sometimes he puts bills into the envelopes for junk mail.

By Ilovemydog On 2009.06.24 07:52
I started confiscate my Dad's mail about a year ago. He would donate and order from everything that he recieved. Eventually these companies stop sending if you don't order. I was easy for me since he lives here. He did mention recently that he doesn't get any mail anymore.

By annwood On 2009.06.24 08:44
The mail became a real issue here also. I got a post office box for awhile and would sort the mail there before bringing it home. My husband spent $3000.00 on mail contests. By the time resumed delivery he wasn't able to get out to the mail box so I would sort it out before giving him anything.

Car keys have to be hidden and guns have to be locked or put at another house. Remember my 2 yr old theory. We make a mistake when we treat them like normal, mature individuals. It is sad.

By WitsEnd On 2009.06.24 12:25
Ditto on the guns and keys. Fortunately (or unfortunately) my dad never wrote a check in his life (my mom did all that) until I took over. However, you would have to watch him with cash because he was subject to just give it away (or claim that it was stolen).

Per the FTC, here's two contacts that might help reduce some of the junk mail. I did both for me personally and it helped a lot....

The national credit bureaus offer a toll-free number that enables consumers to opt-out of all pre-approved credit offers with just one phone call. Call 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688) for more information.

The Direct Marketing Association’s (DMA) Mail Preference Service lets you opt out of receiving unsolicited commercial mail from many national companies for five years. When you register with this service (for a $1 fee), your name will be put on a “delete” file and made available to direct-mail marketers. However, your registration will not stop mailings from organizations that do not use the DMA’s Mail Preference Service. To register with DMA’s Mail Preference Service, go to www.dmachoice.org.

By semig On 2009.06.25 10:49
Thank you for the info, WitsEnd.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you