For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Medicaid or hospice? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Tara On 2009.07.03 22:25
I sure hope someone can help me here. Since my dad's stroke, his PD symptoms have worsened, and he will need 24/7 care. Obviously, I cannot provide this, and my sister comes up with a thousand reasons why she, her husband, and her adult daughter cannot do it, although they all live in the same house. (I mention this only so no one brings that up as a part of the solution -- it isn't.)

The problem is that no one seems to be able to advise me about what to do financially. He has some property in addition to the one house that Medicaid will allow, but it is being tied up because of community property laws (Louisiana) that dictate that my mom, who lives in Florida, owns half of everything since their divorce. I have been told, but without certainty, that this property will still count him out in consideration for Medicaid. Never mind that it is tied up in a legal dispute and cannot be liquidated; it will still prevent him from being considered anyway. I am not at all certain that this is true; I still get conflicting advice.

Anybody familiar with Medicaid procedures? I'm really worried about this.

In any case, your prayers will be greatly appreciated.

By Pearly4 On 2009.07.04 05:48
Getting my mother covered by Medicaid was complicated and she was divorced long before and had nothing -- one life policy that was cashed out and spent down quickly on medications (this was before Medicare D). Basically all money that came in as income in a month, went back out to pay bills. Even once qualified its complicated to keep them qualified and requires mounds of paper work.

As I recall she could onlyhave $2000 in assets - real property (car, house, etc.) and life insurance. She was allowed only one small burial policy which was not something that could be cashed out. She had nothing else and there were still hoops to jump through.

YOu can always apply - they will only say no and if things change you try again. There are attorneys who will help you with some of it. If there is more money it can be put in a Miller Trust for medical expenses for instance. Be careful about signing away or giving away anything -- they go back 5 years now and will disqualify him based on that in some instances. In some ways it's nice to see that not just anybody can walk in and get Medicaid, but when it's needed by someone you love for medical assistance it seems harder than heck to qualify.

That's about all I can offer except my thoughts and prayers.

By Tara On 2009.07.04 07:01
Thanks for the prayers, Pearly. I know that this is a lesson in positive thinking. This is a way to exercise faith that all will turn out favorably in the end.

Please keep those channels of light open for me.

By kwannberg On 2009.07.04 09:28
Hi, Tara.

I'm just about to apply for Medicaid for my Mom here in Oregon. My Mom had a stroke in January, and afterwards her symptoms were worse too, and she was pretty much bedbound. We had to place her in a nursing home because of the type of care she needed. (That's a whole other story).

In any case, I've filled out all the paperwork, and I plan to call on Monday to get things rolling. I'll let you know how everything goes. What I learn in the process might be helpful for you, even if you're in a different state. I know one thing the county people said was to make sure you have tons of documentation of your loved one's financial status, so I've been keeping a notebook of all sorts of documents.

Kristine

By WitsEnd On 2009.07.06 10:37
Talking to an attorney is a good idea, but I think I would start with where you were thinking as far as her care first since that should be free advice. Nursing homes who accept Medicaid should have social workers who should be able to give you some information.

Your original post said Medicaid or Hospice. Hospice is covered under medicare--but they don't do 24 hour nursing except in crisis situations. Some have inpatient facilities but they only do admissions at the very end I think. Might be worth giving one of them a call. Not sure about your finances, but they pay for medicine, hospital beds, pads, Ensure, etc. so they can free up some cash to cover other things if that helps any.

You might try calling the United Way and State Agency on Aging if you have one to see if they have any ideas.

Also, are they still doing reverse mortgages?

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you