For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Mobility Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Mary On 2009.07.07 14:41
Dad can no longer walk without assistance, meaning he cannot even walk alone with is walker. Someone must be helping him move at all times or he will fall. His sense of balance is gone. With that in mind, I borrowed a wheelchair to get him around the house - thinking it would be easier for me and easier on him. Well, the wheelchair is a good idea but it just doesn't fit inside my house. It will be nice for outside trips to appointments, church, etc., but definitely not in the house. It is too big. I'd like to know ideas used by others to aid with in-home mobility. Dad is pretty heavy - dead weight - and hard to safely move about. Thanks so much, Mary

By susger8 On 2009.07.07 15:21
If a wheelchair is out, the only other thing I can think of would be a U-Step walker. It's a lot more stable than a regular walker and is designed for PD patients. I found out about them here (my dad's neurologist never heard of them, one reason we changed neurologists). I wish I'd been able to get it for him earlier when he was walking more.

http://www.ustep.com/walker.htm

They are quite expensive, but if you get a prescription from your dad's neurologist, Medicare and insurance will pay for most of the cost.

Edited to add: I got the laser light thing that's supposed to help with freezing, but my dad can't remember how to turn it on, so that was a waste of money.

By Mary On 2009.07.07 16:31
susger8, thanks for the tip, but I think Dad is too far along for the U Step Walker. He cannot hang on tight. I'm not sure if his grip is gone or if he forgets to grip. Also, Dad's knees give out on him. I do, however, wish I'd known about this walker years ago. It is much better than the one he uses now. Thanks again, Mary

By WitsEnd On 2009.07.07 17:44
At this point, I would recommend asking a medical supply place for suggestions.

A hoyer lift is an option to consider. It provides a sling that the patient sits in. It is used primarily from moving someone who is dead weight off a bed and to another place such as a chair, bathtub, etc. I would go and see one before having it delivered though.

They also make smaller wheel chairs...although I would be sure to rent whatever you choose...not buy it. FYI if you have hospice they can provide this equipment at no cost.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you