For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Hospice Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By truckette22 On 2009.07.07 20:13
Well thanks for all the information that you gave me about Hospice. I called them in and they did an evaluation and he is qualified for Hospice. The nurse said less than 6 months to go. Then we had to talk about charges. I found out that he can stay where he is since it is a Veterans Contract Home. Medicare will pay for Hospice (nurse, meds, etc) but they do not pay for Room and Board so the VA told me they would pay Room and Board. The Social Worker from the VA told me that she had contacted the N/H and told them to start billing MEdicare for Hospice on the 10th and VA for Room and Board. Medicare will pay Skilled thru the 9th. It is such a load off my shoulders-even though we thought he could come home we see the reality and I knew that I could not do the job of taking care of him full time.

By annwood On 2009.07.07 20:53
I am so pleased that everything is falling into place for you. As I have said before there are not enough words to describe how great Hospice is. They know all of the ins and outs and how to cut through the red tape. This is a rough time but they will help you. Thanks for the update.

By WitsEnd On 2009.07.08 08:56
I know just the word "hospice" creates so many emotions and how difficult it is. The tears that come through the initial interview with the hospice folks as you face that death not only is a possibility--but is the real probability. Choking up just trying to answer some of the questions.

I am so happy they were able to help you. I went through the money crisis situation myself and I remember how relieved I was when that part got taken care of.

Hospice folks will firmly tell you the things you need to hear--even if you don't want to hear them. You will be shocked sometimes, but they have seen and heard our stories many times--and they try to prepare you and help you as well as the patient. Lean on them....and yes, prayers do work. It often seemed that for me it was a "nick of time" answer when I had almost reached my breaking point....but He was always there when I really needed Him. In fact, He was always there--I was the problem. I was always busy trying to handle everything on my own--instead of REALLY turning everything over to Him. It was the times when I heartfully admitted "this is something I just can't do--I have to put it in your hands" and just surrendered when I found the most peace.

God bless and keep us posted.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you