For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Thank You for all of your wisdom and love! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By dkleinert On 2009.07.08 11:27
MANY THANKS to all of you who responded to my post about my husband Joe giving up and for your incredible wisdom. God truly uses you! After I read all of your posts, Joe and I both went to the PatientsLikeMe.com website and registered. It is a really helpful site - Joe even posted some he said. After reading your suggestions and thoughts, I decided to talk to Joe about his workshop that we have never set up. Way down on our list of things "to do" was finishing Joe's workshop - we just didn't have the money to buy a workbench (we had to leave his built-in workbench when we moved 5 years ago) and few other things he needed for his smaller workshop. Joe was an incredible wood worker, and with his archetectural engineering background, it was a real passion for him. He had given up working in his shop because of his PD, and was afraid to use his tools, but yesterday I told him that there were still things he could do, fix for me, build small things, etc, and that I thought if he had HIS own space again - he might like that. He said "Well, if we do this, and you wake up some night and I am gone - you know where I will be" and he smiled (which was glorious to see!!). He said he would be out in his shop...... After we moved 5 years ago to where we are now, the room that was to be his shop here at our new property has just became a storage room for things we had not decided what to do with.......so after reading all of your posts, I talked to Joe about putting the shop at the top of the list of things "to do" and he agreed. Yesterday we made a huge amount of progress in his shop, and after his neuro appt today, we will work on it again, and again on my 3rd day off on Thurs. While we were working yesterday, Joe had the idea to sell an old overhead garage door he has to come up with the money he needed to buy a used workbench on Craig's List. So last night I took pictures and posted the overhead door before I went to bed. This morning early a man called Joe, came to the house and paid Joe $100 for the overhead door......now Joe has the $$ he needs to buy the workbench he saw on Craig's List last night! He is jazzed and so am I. THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all of your great input. Thank you for caring - you are the most incredible people on the planet. I love all of you!!!!

By lbellomy On 2009.07.08 12:52
It is so nice to read a happy post. Thank you for letting us know and keep us posted.
Lorraine

By lurkingforacure On 2009.07.08 13:43
I am so happy for you both, thrilled, actually! And yes, Craigslist is the best, after we did some home repairs I had to list lots of the leftoverson CL because Habitat for Humanity would not come pick them up (they'll take the donation, but you have to get it there, thanks so much). We actually made some money and got rid of stuff really fast!

As they say, "one man's trash is another man's treasure..." so glad this worked out for you.

By WitsEnd On 2009.07.08 13:46
I'm so glad for both of you. That's terrific!

I have been trying to remember that motto of "Do you want to live every day like you're dying.....or die while living every day?" We do have a choice in how we think about things and it is amazing how much good and positive thoughts can mean. His smile must have seemed like sunshine. What a wonderful way to spend time together!

By dkleinert On 2009.07.08 22:17
Witsend: I love the motto ""Do you want to live every day like you're dying.....or die while living every day?" we all need to remember that one!!!
:))

By lostdaughter On 2009.07.09 00:46
dkleinert,

I didn't have any ideas or advice for you but I'm very glad you and your husband were able to work through this. I hope he enjoys his workshop and you enjoy watching him!

Thank you for sharing this positive post. It's always great to hear something good!!!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you