For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Grief and Celebrities Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By WitsEnd On 2009.07.13 14:19
You know I used to hear about celebrities dying and I would think--he lived to be 90. My mom only lived to 76--why couldn't she have lived longer? Or, that person is up there on TV and he is as old as dad is and his mind is sharp as a tack and he's still getting around--why did dad have to be the way he is.

And I don't know about you but I am positively sick of hearing about Michael Jackson every time I turn the TV on now. He wasn't the ONLY person to ever die. He wasn't even the only person to die THIS YEAR. Good grief--why doesn't the media get a grip? I'm sorry he died. I'm especially sorry for his kids--but that doesn't mean I want to hear about it every time I turn the TV on.

If the news media would give just 10% of the coverage its given to Michael Jackson to the people who died this year--and still could die--from Parkinson's-- then maybe the world would be a whole lot closer to finding a cure.

Maybe that's just grief talking. Maybe it's just envy--for which I should be praying for forgiveness--but I find the hours and hours and hours of the stuff annoying when you're already feeling a little sensitive about losing a loved one.

I'm I nuts or does this bug anybody else some too?

By annwood On 2009.07.14 00:13
I too am very tired of hearing about Michael Jackson. Also sorry that he died but it will happen to all of us. I fail to understand why so many are attempting to make a national hero of this man. I enjoy his music and recognize that he was extremely talented but that is about all I can say about him. So he had a rotten childhood - many do. I read an article by a psychiatrist who stated that the people who are mourning him are the same people that thought he was a freak a month ago. The man most likely died of something that could have been prevented - PD pts don't have that choice. Most of us do not have $400 million dollars to pay for private, live in physicians, chefs, cleaning ladies, nannies, etc. It is time for us to get on with our lives.

By Tara On 2009.07.14 10:12
I'm sick of it, too, and I just have one parting thought on this.

The media industry would do very well to learn from the entertainment industry a certain mantra that MJ probably knew very well himself:

ALWAYS LEAVE THEM WANTING MORE.

You can finish the rest of that thought.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you