For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Constipation again Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2009.07.16 16:50
All this talk about our federal government made me think of crap, ha ha. But serously, I did want to share something we did recently that helped with constipation.

We do suffer from this, and as everyone knows it's just awful. My husband concocted an elixir to see if it would help, and it did...now, it's nasty stuff and he had to gag it down, but he was pretty desperate. Here's the "recipe":

1T coconut oil
1t cinammon
1T molasses (black strap is best because it has the highest % of potassium )
1 cup blueberries

Mix the above into a small bowl of oatmeal and eat. The rationale is that the coconut oil smoothes things along, cinammon is supposedly good for the intestinal muscles, molasses has a lot of potassium in it (lack of which can cause paralysis of the gut muscles), and the blueberries for fiber, as if he needed anything else to unclog things. I don't know if this'll help anyone, but it's worth a try if you get as desperate as we were (and will be again, no doubt).

By WitsEnd On 2009.07.17 12:03
Maybe I've led a sheltered life, but I had never heard about probiotics until recently. I've been having some problems myself and was referred to an OTC product called Align by my doctor. Health food stores also sell products and you see advertisements for yogurt like drinks.

Apparently there's bugs in your intestinal track (sounds icky doesn't it?) and they help keep everything on track. It seems to have helped. There's something about getting older that seems to cause some foods not to digest as well as they used to.

I've gone from having a cast iron stomach to some very unpleasant effects from just drinking milk. Gosh, I miss the good old days!

By Newcaregiver On 2009.07.20 10:45
Witsend: I use Align and it really helps. You also might be Lactose Intolerant. It happens as you age. Try drinking lactaid milk and see if that helps. I became Lactose Intolerant in my 40's and drink lactaid and eat soy cheese. It really helps!

By WitsEnd On 2009.07.20 13:58
Newcaregiver,

Thanks. I'll have to give that a try.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you