For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic How do you deal with delusions and other mental problems? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lucy On 2009.07.18 12:01
New to this Forum. My husband is 55 and has has PD since 1994. He is very functional most days, plays golf, bike rides, fishes. Now he is having mental issues. He is obsessing about having mold in our house. For 4 wks we have been going round and round with this. He has been sleeping in motels some nights because he says that the mold is making his Parkinson's worse. I have cleaned the carpet many times and we have had it treated to kill any mold. We finally are having the carpet ripped out and replaced with tile next week to satisfy him. He drives when he shouldn't be and has had a couple of minor accidents. I have no influence or power to stop him and the police have no lawful reason to stop his driving.. yet! He has the hypersex thing going on even though Dr has reduced his Requip way down. I am ready to leave him. He goes for psych eval testing, a 4 hr appointment on Wed. I am going to tell all that I can, he becomes violent and has broken things in the house. He is not sick or disabled enough to be in a facility. I am guessing the prescribed treatment is going to be medication, and we will just have to deal with his behavioral issues as best we can and hope that some psychoactive drugs can help?. Our 35 y o son lives with us and that has been a Godsend. Any one else ever deal with these things and have any useful information?

By caregivermary On 2009.07.18 13:36
Lucy,

Welcome. The issues you related are very common ones discussed on this forum. You may search the forum for key words that represent your current situation and you will find lots of discussion that will help you. There are many of us that have had to deal with the mental, physical, and drug related issues you described.

I haven't seen the mold concern but my husband does obsess with other things that are just as critical to him as I'm sure the mold is to your husband. There are many ways to go in dealing with the driving issue. Definitely, speak to the Dr. about it especially the minor accidents. The ability to react to any given situation when driving is definitely affected by the meds and Parkinson's in general. Decision making is another area that is critical while driving and this is usually a problem. Getting lost and of course, PWP will not admit they get lost or can't understand directions. The compulsive behavior is something that is very common with mirapex and requip so decreasing and eventually going off it is something to consider.

All of these issues need to be discussed with the neurogist and you need to pursue getting POA for medical as well as financial . There are good drugs to help with the mental state and the psych eval will help the Dr. decide if something is needed. Your input will be helpful too.

As you will see by reading previous post there are many caregivers and a few patients who are extremely helpful with advice on many different subjects. You will need this support moving forward. Take one step at a time and take care of Lucy.

By bandido1 On 2009.07.18 16:42
Lucy: welcome to this forum. I am one of several patients will comment to you from time to time. I agree that searching or keywords in a search effort will help you learn about what to do in certain circumstances. I do not recall the mold story ever being told. However, using other keywords such as, hallucinations, compulsive behaviors, and similar expressions will get to a wealth of information. My own favorite key word is" tough love". Good luck! Bob C

On second thought, if you really want to tackle this thing right now try searching for my June 20 2009 post. Bandido1

By lostdaughter On 2009.07.18 17:55
Lucy,

I also welcome you to the forum & certainly empathize with your situation. My mom is the PD patient in my situation, 69 years old, diagnosed almost 20 years ago. We have been dealing with her hallucinations and obsessions for about a year now.

I think the evaluation you have scheduled is a good starting point. I often struggle with not knowing if things my mom does are caused by diminished mental capabilities or manipulation & stubbornness. We've asked her neuro to have her evaluated but haven't gotten any cooperation from him so far. We're dealing with so many issues with mom on a regular basis that I haven't had time to focus on the evaluation question like I wish I could. I think you're wise to speak up & tell the whole truth about what's going on. The only way you're going to get any help is to give medical personnel a clear picture of what's going on.

Patient Bob (bless his heart - wish I could hug his neck) doesn't have the defiant, argumentative, insistent attitude my mom does & it sounds like your husband has. When he posts I always think "if only they could all be like him"!! Having said that, I agree that his tough love attitude is often the only choice. Your husband's age & the fact that he isn't your parent or child makes it harder for you to take away the keys, etc., I'm sure.

It reached the point with Mom that I had no choice but to disable her car. She'd had a couple of fender benders where the police weren't called & she became obsessed with going out shopping around alone during the day. She falls numerous times a day & had no business out alone. She agreed not to drive but then snuck out while I was at work. She was angry when I took the battery out of her car but I could at least go to work & not worry that she might kill herself or someone else.

Please let us know what you find out after the evaulation. We're here to help & support you.

By lynn On 2009.07.18 22:25
My husbands neuro ordered a driving exam thru the hospital. Now my husband agreed to the test. It sounds as though your situation may be different. Start with the psych eval and see if med changes result. Some of what you're dealing with may change.One step at a time.

By lucy On 2009.07.19 19:49
Thank you all. I have figured out how to read through some old posts on the topics I am concerned about and I am doing much better today. I esp liked bandido1's post of June 20th and copied it to our email so that my husband could read it. He thinks that bandido1 is a very smart guy! So true. Very grateful to have discovered this Forum.

By MaryNJ On 2009.07.24 14:07
Hi Lucy. Welcome. I know you got several very good replies already, but I had to respond as well since my father is going thru some similar things to your husband. They're about the same age. My father's hypersex issues are terrible and he keeps leaving the house and running around dressed up in costumes, sometimes exposing himself. He's been brought home by the police many many times and gets extremely angry and threatening. My mother, sister and I are the enemy. We talked to his neuro in May and his sinemet dose was reduced way down, but I think he's been sneaking more, because we had another really bad incident last night. I'd be happy to talk to you more about this privately, if you'd like.

What happened with your situation?

By WitsEnd On 2009.07.27 08:52
Lucy,

You are going through some rough times right now. Be prepared to be "the bad guy". Also, be prepared to consider your safety. When the PD is at this stage they can hurt you or themselves. Their safety and yours has to be the highest priority right now. The psych exam is a good first step and discussing everything with the neurologists as well.

You need to get the POA before the psych exam if possible. A person can't give a POA if they aren't competent. Of course a POA is better than none, and this isn't an issue if nobody contests it--but it is a good thing to do if you can.

Hang in there.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you