For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Words of inspiration/comfort/hope? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By MaryNJ On 2009.08.05 09:40
My father's meds are being reduced quite a lot since he was experiencing delusions, psychotic issues, and other assorted bad things. Of course, he's having a hard time adjusting. Yesterday he said that he's losing the will to live. Any words of inspiration/comfort/hope from those of you who have been dealing with this for a long time? He's diagnosed 7 or 8 years.

thanks.

By tryinghard On 2009.08.05 11:07
Hi Mary, my dad was diagnosed about 18 years ago! He's been living with us for a few years now. He too has his bad days where he says things like he can't go on like this anymore or that I'm trying to take over his life. It is extremely difficult. I've been having a terrible time with him lately and all I can say is take it one day at a time. I don't know what else we can do. I'm glad I found this site where I can read about what other people are going through and alot if their stories are very very similar to mine and this has helped me alot. I try to keep telling myself I am doing the best I can for him even though he doesn't make me feel that way but that's not his fault. Hang in there, keep in touch here. You're not alone!!!

By WitsEnd On 2009.08.05 12:11
Depression is a part of PD. You might want to consider treatment for this. It may or may not help.

I also would look for things he likes to do and still can and see if you can distract him. Also if he feels useful at something that should help--so see if there's something you can get his advice on or he can help you or another family member with. Maybe getting him on one of the sites referenced in earlier posts for PD patients to help him share and not feel so alone.

Hang in there.

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.08.05 16:35
I don't know if this will be of any help or not. If you go to the top of the "page", click on Home. Then click at top Commentary, this months commentary touches a bit on adjustments We've made. Talk over things that used to be enjoyed. Things that might have been long pushed aside and with a little modification and a lot of thought to safety might be enjoyed again? Also as WitsEnd said depression with Parkinson's should be considered or assessed. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you