For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Child-like behavior...how do you deal with it? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By dkleinert On 2009.08.09 00:01
I would like you input about how you deal with - if it is an issue at all in your situation - with the childlike behavior. I can't look at my husband sometimes without him taking offense and storming off to his "day room", closing the door and not coming out except for food and medications. He sometimes carries this on for 3 or 4 days (we are in day 2 now). Then he all of a sudden is really sorry for his silly behavior. This time it started because I asked him to please not turn on every light in the house (I struggle to pay the bills each month), and if he would turn off lights when he is not going to use that room. So many times I come home from work to find ALL of the lights on thruout our house and the TV on and Joe is asleep in the day room. Even a $25 drop in our electric bill would be helpful to me, so when he does this repeatedly, and I am not home to monitor it by turning off the lights, it is painful for me. He response when I made the request was "I always turn off the lights in rooms I am not in"........nothing could be further from the truth. When I challenged him - he stormed off and now we are in day 2 of his not speaking to me.....I have tried every kind, gentle, way to speak to him about things......it seems like not matter what - he will find something to throw one of these tantrums over. My worst problem with it is that it always seems to happen at the beginning of or during my 4 days that I work each week, meaning I won't see him much during those 4 days if at all. He sleeps until 10am, seems to always know when I am in the shower because he comes out and takes his medications, then is back in his "day room" with the door closed and locked when I come back out, then I leave for work at 12:30p and am not home until 10pm. When I get home he is back in his room with the door closed and locked. I check pill box organizer and can see that he has taken his medication, but don't usually see that he has eaten much of anything or drank anything. The kitchen is usually spotless. What do I do? When I have tried to talk to him about it - he gets insensed and it all starts over again......your input would be so wonderful. Thanks for being there......

By dkleinert On 2009.08.09 00:04
One more thing - Joe is on Abilify for his depression and mood swings.

By lynn On 2009.08.09 20:58
My husband leaves lights on and the TV for the entire time I'm gone. I used to say something but they simply don't remember it. I know it's hard because you can talk and everything seems so normal. The next minute you're reminding them once again of something. I think they lose their attention span and go from one thing to the next. they don't have the sense of order that they used to. I finally just said to myself that I would have to let things go.

By dkleinert On 2009.08.09 23:21
Lynn: Thanks - guess I am just whining - I am not a very patient person sometimes....thanks for your gracious input.

By Ilovemydog On 2009.08.10 07:35
It is very hard to deal with them when they behave like this. With my dad it got to the point where I liked when he threw his tantrums. This way he would stay in his room all day and I would not have to worry about him falling and getting into trouble around the house.

By susger8 On 2009.08.10 08:14
I don't have an answer. It's likely that any agreement you might reach would immediately be forgotten.

You can get special products that automatically turn the lights off if nobody is moving in the room. They are not cheap, but might save you money (and aggravation) in the long run.

http://www.smithgear.com/te-pm-303b.html

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=39638-334-K6109W-L&detail=&lpage=none

By karolinakitty On 2009.08.11 22:12
I agree with lynn ... they just don't remember ....no point in questioning ... one thing i have learned is not to say "don't you remember?" there's no point to it..... I just make a sweep of the property making sure doors are shut and lights are off ..... I also made adjustments in his shop .. i set the air conditioner to energy saver and all he has to do is adjust the temp .... but even then i check it on my nightly run....

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you