For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Snorting stem cells into the brain Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2009.08.13 08:39
Incredible, but true. Researchers had rats "snort" adult rat stem cells and those cells made their way into the rat's brain, all without surgery. Here's the link and a quote:

http://www1.umn.edu/news/features/20...NT_124844.html

"The researchers had mice sniff tiny droplets containing adult stem cells from rats. An hour later, rat stem cells were clearly visible in the mice’s brains. To make sure the ability to penetrate the brain wasn’t limited just to those cells, they also had rats snort a second type of cells, from human brain tumors. These cells also penetrated the brain within an hour."

How did the stem cells get there? They likely traveled to the brain along the olfactory (smell) nerves through small holes in the cribriform plate, a thin horizontal part of the skull at the base of the brain. Fascinating, since many PDers lose their sense of smell early in the disease, now that same smell pathway might be able to be used to restore function in humans with PD.

By WitsEnd On 2009.08.13 09:25
I am still amazed the stuff they are doing with inhaling and skin patches these days. After years of cutting people open to implant and repair stuff and years of needles and injections.

Wouldn't it be great if they could find a cure for Parkinson or Alzheimers and all the patient had to do was to inhale something?

Awesome! Thanks!

By lurkingforacure On 2009.08.13 11:02
Yes, I can hardly wait for our next neuro appt. where I will ask our learned doc if he can help get us into a trial to snort our way to a cure!

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.08.13 13:47
I'm Sorry Lurking, I just couldn't resist this......"Yes, I can hardly wait for our next neuro appt. where I will ask our learned doc if he can help get us into a trial to snort our way to a cure!" ........I hope You're ready for a "Snort laugh" from the Neuro! This is a longggg way away from any Human trials. You do keep Us up on the news out there, keep'um coming. Again I just couldn't resist. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you