For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Beware the swine flu vaccine... Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2009.08.15 22:02
Apparently at least 25 folks have died of a nerve disease after receiving the swine flu vaccine....I really worry about this because a PDer should be so careful to avoid getting the flu, yet if the vaccine attacks the nerves, it could make the PD worse or kill him. What to do? Here's the link (note the stats they provide on the 1976 vaccine disaster):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1206807/Swine-flu-jab-link-killer-nerve-disease-Leaked-letter-reveals-concern-neurologists-25-deaths-America.html

PS...I can't help but note that there are many cases of perfectly healthy, straight-A student girls who have either died or gone into full body paralysis after receiving the cervical cancer vaccine....what is going on with these shots?

By jsmitch On 2009.08.16 12:28
Full disclosure: The Daily Mail is a Brit tabloid of the same ilk as the STAR and National Inquirer.

By WitsEnd On 2009.08.18 15:18
I read there would probably be a shortage of flu vaccine this year. The government was buying a supply and high risk patients, health care workers, etc. would receive priority. Would a Parkinson patient be in the high risk category (people with diseases that could have severe complications from the flu)?

I think there are a lot of people who have reactions to the various vaccines especially where live viruses are involved. I suppose the risk is less if it isn't a live vaccine. I've often wondered though that if someone already has a compromised system whether the risk of taking the vaccine was greater than the risk of not take the vaccine.

If anybody does take the flu shot I would encourage folks to take an antihistimine like Benadryl to help keep down any allergic reactions. My vet recommends it for my dogs and since I take allergy shots this is something always recommended. My company does free flu vaccinations every year and I always take an antihistimine the day I get the shot. For somebody who tends to have allergies--it's always minimized any reaction for me.

By lurkingforacure On 2009.08.18 19:37
Another thing to note about this vaccine: to my knowledge, it has not been tested on children or infants (not even sure it's gone through the usual tests for adults).

And I don't really care what "ilk" the media is, when health is concerned. One can always do additional research to decide what the real risk is and if they are comfortable with that risk. And now that this confidential letter has been leaked and reported on once, there are many news sites echoing this same concern. It's also popped up in some other forums, as well.

By Newcaregiver On 2009.08.19 08:47
I have seen quite a bit on the evening news about the testing of adults, teenagers along with children for the swine flu vaccine.

By jsmitch On 2009.08.19 09:50
I don't think you will find tabloids in the research section of your local library...

Some other headlines from the Mirror:

'Aliens could attack at any time' warns former MoD chief

The revolting 'Dr Who' sea monster that terrified tourists

Teacher 'pregnant with record-breaking TWELVE babies'

Pill to erase bad memories: Ethical furore over drugs 'that threaten human identity'

Michael Jackson set to be embalmed at the O2 Centre after missing the deadline for cryogenic freezing

By lurkingforacure On 2009.08.19 12:31
Testing is not complete by any means, they are currently recruiting and testing folks, adults and kids. The call to volunteer as a test subject for the vaccine is nationwide as the vaccine is supposed to be available on a mass basis in October. Just one link talking about this: http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/1391825.html

There are many articles on google news about this, this one just popped up first on my browser. I have no idea of how credible, authoritative, or legitimate the kansascity article is. But the fact that there are many similar articles from other sources would indicate it has some merit.

I found the last comment on this thread to be insulting and very non-productive. Express whatever legitimate concern you may have over another's post, but I really don't think it is helpful at all to insult what someone else has offered up as a consideration in caring for our PD loved one.

By WitsEnd On 2009.08.19 15:49
I saw articles requesting volunteers. They are definitely trying to rush it to market.

I couldn't help but wonder how they actually did the test. Do they give you the shot and then a week later expose you to the flu and if you don't get it or if you do and your symptoms are less it's a success? Maybe they can just check your blood for antibodies. In any event, I'm not sure how they can check for any side effects really quickly. Some side effects may not always show up right away.

I guess maybe they've done this so much now they don't need to do as much testing as they used to do. Flu vaccines get made every year these days.

By lurkingforacure On 2009.08.20 07:54
From abcnews: (note: thimerasol metabolizes in the body to a form of mercury, I think it is ethyl mercury....a known neurotoxin. Why they continue to use this stuff in any quantity is beyond me.) Here's the link:

Will Safety Fears Hurt Swine Flu Vaccinations?
Concerns Over Thimerosal, Expedited Approval Process Ignite Worries in Some

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/SwineFl...8206167&page=1

"We don't have adequate safety studies on this vaccine before we are moving forward to market," said Lyn Redwood, president and co-founder of the group SafeMinds. "I'm really not convinced that we know for sure that the risk of the disease outweighs the risk of the vaccine, especially since this is a brand new additive that we have never used before in combination with thimerosal." "

By WitsEnd On 2009.08.20 08:54
I saw a segment on the news last night where they were saying that the vaccine would be available in November and that the concerns regarding the safety of the vaccine is reaching "legendary" proportions. Reference was made to a vaccine given back in the 70's that caused some people to die from a neurologic syndrome.

The doctor in Houston that was interviewed said that he was involved in administering the local trials and that he felt the vaccine was safe enough that he had taken it himself.

The thing that did bother me about what they said was that a Chinese lab was the first to declare that they had a successful vaccine. We have seen nothing but one recall or issue after another with products originating in China. Frankly I would double the scrutiny of anything originating there based on recent history. I hope the people doing the US approvals feel the way I do if this is the case.

By Newcaregiver On 2009.08.20 09:20
Keep in mind, that this flu is not even proving to be as viralent as the yearly flu. I think all the press on this flu and the fact that it is labeled a "pandemic" has gotten people very concerned about it. So far, it doesn't seem to be more concerning than the regular, yearly flu. I am glad they are working on a vaccine, but I have so many other things to worry about (like my PD hubby!) that are obvious and immediate. I am trying to put these possible problems in a little locked portion of my brain so that I can function with my real and known issues! I think so much press on these things causes us all too much anxiety!

By lurkingforacure On 2009.08.21 08:05
Several docs we know have said the same thing, it's being blown out of proportion, probably to sell all these vaccines they've ordered. Cynical, I know.

No one I know who does NOT get the flu shot has ever gotten the flu....and yet, those I know who get the flu shot are the ones who get the flu! Scary.

By WitsEnd On 2009.08.24 14:35
My mom used to say the year she got the flu the worst was the year she took the flu shot. She didn't take them for a long time after that.

The problem is the strains mutate and the scientists are making their educated guesses about what strains to vaccinate for. I went to my doctor for a check up and he said the regular flu vaccine would be at his office in a couple of weeks. He said there would likely be 2 - 3 different vaccines this year for various strains of flu. He recommended I get one and people get vaccinated as early as possible.

By lurkingforacure On 2009.08.24 20:45
I have heard that as well, including from my own dad. NEVER had the flu until the year his doc convinced him he simply had to have the shot. He got it, and got the flu. He'll never have another one, he's told me.

I'm not telling anyone not to get the shot, but I have read some interesting things about some components of green tea, EGCG primarily, that have demonstrated the ability to preclude virus from replicating, even in later stages of infection. I have actually read of folks gargling with green tea and their bout did not last as long and/or they didn't get it at all. These are scientific studes done in multiple places. EGCG is also being studied extensively for its anti-cancer properties, including breast cancer. If you google green tea and/or EGCG you'll find more than you can read about the healthful properties of green tea and its components. Only problem, you gotta drink a lot of the stuff every day, which is why they are working on trying to isolate the beneficial components (also to make them more bioavailable). BTW, EGCG has also been studied for its neuroprotective properties, and several PWP swear this has slowed their progression. My husband is now drinking green tea and we'll see.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you