For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Experienced caregivers! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lynn On 2009.08.20 08:28
I need to purchase a ustep walker asap for my husband. For those who have experience with these, could you please tell me which brand you purchased? Also, was it too heavy for you to put in the trunk of the car? Thanks.

By susger8 On 2009.08.20 08:35
There's only the one brand. I got mine from 1-800-wheelchairs since the price at my local medical supply place was twice as high. You can also order it directly from the manufacturer (which costs a little more than 1-800-wheelchairs).
http://www.ustep.com/walker.htm

I don't find it too heavy to get in the trunk. It weighs about 20 pounds. Certainly heavier than a regular walker, but not that bad.

They are very stable and offer very good support, plus I love the ease of turning. My dad does have to be reminded to squeeze the handle to take the brake off.

I got him the one with the laser line to help with freezing, but I didn't realize until afterwards that he had vision loss due to undiagnosed glaucoma. He can't even see the line.

I wish I had known about this walker a couple of years ago when he first started needing a walker. It would have helped him a lot.

By annwood On 2009.08.20 11:46
I too found the U-Step to be wonderful. While it was not to heavy for me to lift (I am 5'2" and 120 lbs) it was akward. Very duable. After my husband took a headfirst spill using a regular walker we had no choice. It also has the benefit of a seat for when they need to rest and a basket for holding things. I donated my husband's to the Neurology Dept. with the understanding that it would go to someone who could not afford one. I think the laser light was useless for him because of his dementia but that is just one person's opinion.

By Emma On 2009.08.20 11:49
Susger8 is right, there is only one brand of ustep walker. We ordered one through our local medical supply store,their price was the same as the ustep website. Our neurologist wrote "Parkinson's Diagnosis" and 'ustep walker" right on the prescription. Medicare is paying 80%.

The walker came in yesterday so we went to pick it up. One of the employees at the store spent quite a bit of time explaining the walker to us and showing us how the various features work. It's somewhat more complicated than a regular walker. I tried folding it down and putting it in the back of my Jeep. No problem. She then had my husband practice with it and gave him some tips. He really liked it, unfortunately, as he was walking around practicing I noticed that the walker looked crooked. After looking closer I realized that the frame was bent so it had to be sent back and a new one ordered.

We're anxious to get the replacement, I think it's going to be a great thing for my husband.

By lynn On 2009.08.20 20:07
Thanks once again my dear friends for coming to my rescue. The ustep has been ordered.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you