For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Ustep Walker Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lynn On 2009.08.27 20:00
To all my friends- Thank you so much for recommending the ustep. It arrived today and my husband can walk again. It provides the stability that he needs. I'm so relieved. My only concern is twisting the black brackets to collapse and unfold the walker. I'm afraid I might break the knobs. did this ever happen to any of you?

By Emma On 2009.08.27 20:58
Lynn, I've had the same concern about those knobs since we got the ustep. I'm curious to see what other people have to say about it. The walker is great though!

By annwood On 2009.08.27 21:37
We had the U-Step for 2 years and it went through a great deal. Never had any trouble with the knobs.

By lynn On 2009.08.28 15:31
thanks annwood. I going to stop worrying about the knobs.

By susger8 On 2009.08.29 10:19
Those knobs are actually quick-release hubs made for bicycles. They are more sturdy than they look. So far they have held up well for my dad.

I just wish I had gotten my dad his U-Step earlier, when he was more mobile than now.

By overwhelmedinFL On 2009.09.08 14:31
Thank you for posting this. I just had my mom's doctor write a script for one. Mom just started usign a walker a week or so ago and started with her husbands wheeled walker. Seeing her use it scares the bejeebies out of me. It goes way too fast and she doesnt even keep her hands on the brakes. Dangerous!!!!

Mom's posture has gotten really hunched and she is getting that type of walk (don't know if there is a term for it) where it is almost like someone shoves her from behind and she is launched forward.

She does so much better whenI constantly reminder her to stand up straight and stick her boobs out :) I hate reminding her though, she feels like a child and my reminders are of course for her safetly.

My mom is amazing, I hate seeing her like this.

By susger8 On 2009.09.08 15:45
One cool thing about the U-Step is that the brakes are on unless you squeeze the handle -- much safer. And you can adjust the "drag" on the wheels so it can't go too fast.

My dad stoops way over when he uses the walker -- he has a lot of muscle contracture, all over his body, and I think that contributes to the stooped posture.

Sue

By overwhelmedinFL On 2009.09.15 13:12
I know someone on here mentioned they got 80% covered by Medicare.

It seems nobody will take Medicare as payment at all, they want me to pay in full and file for refund on my own. I can do that but I do want to make sure that Medicare will cover first.

Does anyone have any idea how I confirm that?

I have an RX for it, the RX specifically says u-step walker and specifically says diagnosis Parkinsons.

Thanks in advance

By overwhelmedinFL On 2009.09.15 13:52
I actually just ordered it as I found out that ustep will process the reimbursement for me... They don't know how much if any will get covered but at least they will do my paperwork for me:)

My mom is going to be so excited!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you