For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic a question Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.09.06 00:22
Anyone have an answer? Been a rough couple of weeks here, first we had a storm, lightening struck a pole and blew out our power (taking my phone service along with it) power was out for 12 hrs, phone out for 4 days! I'm on dial up so no computer. Then I got up and online when, all this strange stuff started to appear on my screen! Well I was all excited figured ET was sending me an Im! As I was about to email SETI alerting them of my contact with Aliens the computer tower quit communicating with the monitor! It took my computer guru (nephew) a week to come replace the video card? But it's working fine for the moment. Oh yeah, my question. When phone was out My Sister brought up a trac phone for me told me to keep it with me on walks and such. I was reading instructions tonight and it has warning to keep at least 8 inches from pace makers, so I wondered if they can affect those deep brain probes? I don't have that but inquiring minds like to know, anyone know if they do or not? I've emailed the Mayo Clinic but it will be Monday or Tuesday before they answer so I figured I'd ask. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By susger8 On 2009.09.06 12:12
Hi, Lohengr!n. I'm not an expert, but I did find this reference, which says there are no documented events of cell phones interfering with DBS, but not to put the phone in your shirt pocket.

Sue

http://www.brainnurse.com/DBS1.htm

By bandido1 On 2009.09.06 14:22
Al: Sorry to hear of your communication problems. We were beginning to worry about you. Now, be prepared for typical Bandido answers:

As I think you know, I have a pacemaker and I have a cell phone draped around my neck at all times. The cord with a cell phone attached is exactly 11 inches from the pacemaker to my belly button where it sits most of the time. Thus far, my heart has held up nicely. Because of your concerns, I'm now worried about the impact of the cell phone on my equipment located just a few inches further south. Not that it is of much use these days! Seriously though, I don't think we have much to worry about so, just hang in there. Bob

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.09.06 15:30
Thanks Sue. Bob,Bob,Bob I was thinking about you and your phone slung about your neck as I was reading that. I know you have heart problems and pacemaker so watch out. I'm not even going to attempt a wise crack about your other concierns you mentioned else we both might find our passwords stricken from the sight and entry barred! Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By dkleinert On 2009.09.07 11:31
Thanks so much for your entertaining emails you guys! You are the best. I have a friend who has a pacemaker and wears his phone in his shirt pocket.....I will tell him - thanks of the heads up!!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you