For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic HELP Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By caregivermary On 2009.09.10 17:37
PD husb(19 yrs-late stage 4 or early 5) on hospice since July 19th. On and off anxiety with trouble catching his breath. Started ativan .5 today with oxygen on and off. Hospice is recommending 2.5 liquid morphine. I have a call into husb's geriatric MD to get some counsel on this. Does this sound strange to give morphine for the difficulty my hust is experiencing? Husb is still alert, drinking, eating, interacting, etc. I'm afraid of morphine and I know he is too.

By annwood On 2009.09.10 17:50
Go with what your physician says but it is very common to give morephine. It will reduce his anxiety and in the process enable him to breathe better. The dosage of 2.5 is very small.

Good luck - this is hard.

By sachet On 2009.09.10 18:09
husband been on Hospic since July 15th. had a fall Monday and has been in bed, barely moving. for the past two days he has been recieving 2.5 morephine many times per day and still not pain free--today was told to use 2.5 every half hour until nurse arrives to help change bed and clean up--this has gone on for several hours.
But he has not spoken but a few works other than "help me" & call my name and I will be glad to have the nurse here again today.
At this point I am not worried about the morephine---these are last stages and comfort is the most important right now, to me.

By annwood On 2009.09.10 19:17
I totally agree. When my husband was in the last stages of pD I questioned the morephine but knew that he needed it. It is a coming to terms with where you are with the disease. The comfort of the patient far outweighs any reservations.

Stay strong - we are here for you.

By caregivermary On 2009.09.10 19:31
thank you for responding so quickly. I know and understand what you both are saying. It's just very difficult to accept. The last thing I would want is for my husb to suffer any more than he already has.

By dkleinert On 2009.09.11 00:33
Thank you so much to all of you who so freely and openly share your fears, concerns and advice. My husband is in stage 4 of this dreadful disease. I can't tell you what all your emails do for me. They keep me grounded and take so much of the unknown and thus, the fear of the unknown. Even though it is so difficult to know what is ahead, I know that I can navigate it as long as all of you are here. God Bless all of you.

By sachet On 2009.09.11 19:58
We all have our fears and concerns. My husband is at the point transioning and it is hard to watch---he has not eaten in three days, has had a lot of pain from a fall the first of the week, finally we have the pain under control. This is the hardest part. Thankful he could wisper he loves me this morning. And I know this could be just the beginning of the end but he looks closer so Hospic says and I am sure they are correct.
Tomorrow is his grandaughter's wedding so family coming and going, thankful some could come and sit & say their goodbyes.
Sorry to ramble---thankful for the pain meds and they are .75 every three hours.
Blessings to all

By annwood On 2009.09.11 21:27
You are not rambling. This is the time you need people to lean on and we are here. This is your life partner and it is so hard to see them in pain and struggling. This is such a terrible disease. I hope that the wedding is sensational and that you enjoy having loved ones around during this time.

By caregivermary On 2009.09.12 12:24
Oh boy, now my husb has shingles. Big raised red spots on head(bald), nose, and eye lid. I also talked with Dr. about morphine and feel better.

By annwood On 2009.09.12 13:35
Shingles are very painful - he needs the morephine more than ever. Glad the doc put your mind at ease.

By sachet On 2009.09.13 00:49
Shingles are so painful, I am sure the morephine will help.

Last night my husband passed---finally out of pain and whole again.

His three adult children came and sat with me and we exchanged memories--what a blessing. Then today was one of his granddaughter's wedding with lots of family we don't see very often & lots of friends and a beautiful bride that grandfather was so proud of and I felt his presence during the ceremony

By caregivermary On 2009.09.13 08:20
Sachet,

I'm sad to hear of your husb's passing. Having his children there and lots of family was important for you. Take care.

By annwood On 2009.09.13 10:05
I am so sorry to hear of your husband's death. Know that he is in a better place now but still with you in spirit. My husband has been dead 20 months now but I still feel he is around me. It is a great comfort.

It is strange how life goes on - the wedding which is a happy event along with a loss. My daughter gave birth to twin boys the night my husband died.

Having all of the family there is a great comfort but also a burden on you at this time. I hope that you will soon be able to rest and that your memories of your dear husband will give you comfort. It does get easier with time.

By overwhelmedinFL On 2009.09.13 13:54
I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you were with him and some of his family was able to say goodbye.

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.09.13 16:04
Sachet, Condolences upon Your loss. May G-d's Angels be by Your side guiding and sustaining You and Yours through the troubled times ahead. May they wrap their wings round you and cradle you in warmth and safety. May they light Your way in mourning. Cry when You must, laugh when You can and take time to heal. We're here for You whenever You need. Sincerely Al and Your friends here on the forum.

By Mary On 2009.09.14 11:03
Sachet, I am sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. You have been on a very difficult journey together. He is in a place now where Parkinson's Disease does not live and is not allowed. Hugs and blessing to you, Mary

By pegk3548 On 2009.09.15 21:17
Sachet
So sorry for your loss. My thoughts & prayers are with you.

Peg

By dkleinert On 2009.09.16 00:29
Sachet so sorry for your loss. Maybe family and friends are still there? Take care of yourself now.....blessings to you as you grieve and mourn and ultimately heal. Big Hugs! Donna

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you