For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic coughing a lot Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By rettele On 2009.09.23 12:02
Hi Im new and to this forum but have been a caregiver for 23 years. My husband was diagnosed as a young onset. He is having this coughing in the chest- it is not a cold ,pnemonuia, he takes acid reflux meds- but still coughing and really a hard cough. Is any one having this or is it just the beast PK.

By karolinakitty On 2009.09.23 18:27
My Jim chokes a lot. I wouldn't really call it coughing but i guess you could. Swallowing becomes an issue with PD patients and coughing/choking is pretty regular. The saliva that builds up in the mouth, due to not swallowing voluntary, they eventually asperate and the fluid getting in the lungs causes the choking or coughing. Jim seems to do the most of his in the middle of the night, although there are day time episodes also. I would have him checked out if it seems to be a pertusis or whooping cough type cough. Has he been to the doc to have it checked. PD patients also can get pnemonuia from the fluid they asperate in the lungs......

By susger8 On 2009.09.24 07:35
In addition to the good suggestions from karolinakitty, another thing to investigate is whether he has some degree of congestive heart failure. With this condition, you get a lot of coughing -- my grandmother had it. It's treatable, so worth getting checked out if it hasn't already been considered.

By bandido1 On 2009.09.24 14:20
retelle: a Patient contributor to this forum, welcomes you. We "Parkies" almost always have coughs. In my case, the diagnosis of congested heart failure adds to the problem. My cough is mostly noticeable while asleep and on my back. Try having him sleep on one side or another. Bob C

By rettele On 2009.09.26 11:40
thanks for some insight-we have an appt with our primary dr on monday and will mention these-he is very good and did get an xray awhile back for the congestive heart failure thought--he is on dietretic now but have swelling again in the ankles the last couple of days. Just another issue with the beast.

By Pick On 2009.09.30 23:51
Is it possible your husband is taking an ACE inhibitor for hypertension (you mentioned possible congestive heart failure and diuretics)? They end in "pril" (Lisinopril, Ramipril, etc.).

It is not uncommon for ACE inhibitors to cause patients to have annoying, persistent coughs....in such cases you can usually switch to a different class of anti-hypertensives called ARBs.

Good luck!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you