For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Graph it! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Pearly4 On 2009.09.27 20:04
Has anyone else used a graph to chart symptoms and side effects? We were given a chart by my mother's doctor. Across the bottom were times of the day and vertically were 5 lines -- 1 was no mobility, 2 was some mobility, 3 was good mobility with very little to no side effects/symptoms, 4 was mobility with side effects and 5 was the most side effects noted (we were off the chart a couple of times!). Mark vertically at or between the points, whatever fits.

Note the times meds are taken on the bottom line, draw a line from the point on the vertical column to match it with mobility and symptoms, and mark it. Obviously the goal was a nice straight 3 all the way across, but we rarely made it. As we fine tuned, we made new charts with 15 minute increments at the bottom time line and found those points where meds were most effective and adjusted to suit.

Taking 1 Sinemet or two, or whatever "5 times a day" is pretty vague and may not be what is needed. Taking it at 4:30 a.m., 7:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 2:30 pm, and 7:30 pm was precise and kept my mother moving with good mobility and as little side effects (dyskinesias) as possible. It was hard work and took constant observations for 4-6 weeks to fine tune it, but it worked for her and for us.

Take it to your doctor with you -- you'll have many sheets, so I only took those that showed a representation while we were adjusting, but we finally got her to the point where we went from 1 to a 3 by 7:30 a.m., stayed there until some time after 10:30 and then stayed at 4 until bedtime when she slid back down to a 2 or so.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you