For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Back and Neck Pain Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By arlenecram On 2009.10.02 13:10
My husband has been experiencing both back and neck pain----first once in awhile---now constant. He went to a chiropractor--but this doesn't help for long.. I am sure this too goes with parkinsons?? He seems to be somewhat depressed---does a lot of sitting and sleeping. A few weeks ago they had to remove one of his eyes because of very high eye pressure---guess he has every right to get depressed. I think if he would get out of his chair he would feel better.. It is SO hard to watch your loved ones go through this horrid disease...

By susger8 On 2009.10.02 13:25
I am sure that the typical bent-over posture is likely to cause back problems. The muscle contracture that is part of PD seems to contribute to that. And many people with PD become more or less apathetic and don't have much interest in activities. Moving around is very difficult, so there is a tendency to sit and sleep.

This spring my dad was found to have very high eye pressure also, which is not usually something that happens suddenly. He has lost a lot of vision in one eye. I asked the ophthalmologist whether there was a relationship between glaucoma and PD and he said he didn't know of any. Makes me wonder.

It certainly is a horrible disease. I'm sorry about your problems.

Sue

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.10.02 16:22
Yes back and neck pain is common in Parkinson's disease. The disease twists Us out of shape, causing postural abnormality, drawn up forearms, many strange positions. Depression also is common. The chiropractic probably isn't a way to go as it tends to align the skeleton and use or train muscles to keep it proper. With Parkinson's the muscle control isn't there to keep anything aligned (with dystonia and dyskinesia occurring forget training anything).

Now as for being apathetic and not having interest in activities? I'm going to take you to task for that one. It may appear to a casual onlooker as a Parkinson's Patient is apathetic. The disease masks our faces and emotions once visible there aren't anymore. However WE are still there feeling emotions as much or more than when able to express then facially. Do NOT mistake the masked stoic face as not caring or uninterested. Moving around is hard, in fact it's at times exhausting and We do sit and sleep not because We'd rather do that but because We can't help it! Think of it as if You put and extra 25 lbs around your ankles and say 10 lbs around your wrists, then go about your daily life........then tell me you made it through the day without sitting down much more or napping? Make it through the day, ok, same thing next day and day after and the day after that and so on, how long will you last? We do this every day for the rest of our lives. Feeling a bit tired just reading and thinking about it? How much coaxing and You'd feel better if you got up and did something would it take to get You up? How would You feel about this coaxing? Let Me try and put it another way here........You're a caregiver talking to a friend about how hard and long the days have become caring for your loved one......Your friend smiles and tells you "I find when I'm bored or doing something that is unpleasant if I hum happy tunes it goes by faster! You should try it!".....You'd probably stare at them in disbelief!

I'm sorry if I sound mean, sometimes this stuff gets lost in the duration and frustration of the disease. We shouldn't be compared to how we acted and did things before. We're not the same, we wish we were but we're not and cannot be. Don't mistake a stoic, masked face for not caring or no interest please. We're locked behind it and do feel and care! Don't mistake exhaustion for apathy. It's a devastating disease, constant adjusting and a constant thief. It steals from Us, from our loved ones. We're all in this together, be good to one another. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By karolinakitty On 2009.10.02 18:48
Lohengrin .. I don't think you are sounding mean at all ...... You are being forthwright with what happens ..... I found with Jim and I directness works best for how he feels and what it feels like to have PD. He has said much of what you did. Having the extra weight around his ankles and tummy is just what he told me not long ago...he's gotten so slumped recently that while he looks in most ways to be a 52 year old in others he looks to be 72 or older.... It's so hard for him to do the things he loves that he just decided at this point to push a little harder to at least do them as much as he can, and i do mean push....i can see it in the eyes, because i look hard.... He says i'm just too analytical and sometimes observe him from that distance as if i'm logging and catalogging what he's doing now. I may not be able to actually "feel" what its like, but i want him to be who he is now and not feel as though he is a "patient".
I think through this whole process, i understand the male ego more. How much it hurts not to be the "man" and do those manly things men so much want to. If he could just get up on that ladder and take care of that light bulb, or hammer that nail..straight.... simple tasks he used to do that he just can't. We have to remeber that they are going through more than we ever know.......

By dkleinert On 2009.10.03 01:06
LOHENGR1N thank you so much for the reality check - you are such a VALUABLE part of this forum - only you and Bandido1 tell us what it is really like from the inside out with PD. We caregivers don't know, especially if our loved ones are not communicative as my husband is. He does not talk much, and so I never know what he is thinking or feeling. You are right - he looks sad and introspective, when in fact, as you say - he is feeling as he always did and does now.....thank you for this great insight. I will look at my husband differently now and see what I can do to help more. THANKS for the posts and insights from everyone.

By bandido1 On 2009.10.03 12:36
lohengr1n aka Al: Well done! You took the words right out of my MIC and I'm grateful for that because I have had a couple off days. As you state in the commentary section, education and awareness are important.Your answer today on back and neck pain for patients is right on target. In my case fatigue has begun taking away almost half my day. Someone described it the other day as like having a one hundred pound suit that one wears 24 hours a day.

Now,just to encourage caregivers to read your commentary, I will suggest only one change. Instead of shuffling to D.C, why not shuffle off to Buffalo?

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.10.03 17:35
Well now Bob the answer to that is simple. Haven't you ever got moving and not been able to stop as quickly as you wanted? If one shuffled off to Buffalo, one might end up in Lake Erie, whereas everyone knows the bull manure is piled so deep in Washington D.C. You'd get bogged down before you could get into too much trouble. take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By Mary On 2009.10.07 14:23
Al and Bob, thank you! I know I've read things like your post before but somehow forget. I know this disease is hard on me as a caregiver but cannot imagine how hard it is on Dad. Now I have a small idea of what it must be like for him.

Also, I visited Dad on Saturday at the Veterans Home and he seemed indifferent about my visit. Now, I am thinking he was happy to see me but couldn't express it. I knew that but somehow it did not come to mind on Saturday.

Also, Dad complains that it hurts to move him from bed to chair or wheelchair. What hurts? Dad cannot talk much if at all any more.

Al and Bob you continue the reality checks for us caregivers. Yes, sometimes we need to vent and have support and other times we need a reality check.

Hugs and blessings, Mary

By susger8 On 2009.10.08 08:00
Mary, I think that the stiffness and muscle contracture can sometimes feel like your whole body is in a big giant cramp. I would imagine that being moved, even carefully, could be painful.

My dad is a tough bird and he seems to have a very high pain threshold, but he complains sometimes of pain in his legs. I know it must really hurt for him to say anything at all.

Sue

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you