For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic A beautiful mind Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By shakydog On 2009.10.05 23:21
Anyone seen the first half of this movie, then have to ask what part was real? And if the reality that you were experiencing was the imagined or the real part?

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.10.06 20:09
Yes Shakey, I have watched the movie, I admit it was awhile ago, however as I recall it did leave you wondering about just what was real and what was in His mind! It does a wonderful job of showing just how hallucinations and delusions can and do take over ones mind and for their duration become reality to that person! I never thought of bringing that up as an example! Thank You for mentioning it. Although it is not about Parkinson's Disease it might be worth the rental for caregivers if they would like to get a glimpse of just how consuming and realistic these images are to one experiencing them. Will it make everything better? Heck no! Maybe it will help gain some insight into just how real they can seem to be and how confusing it can become. Thanks again for pointing it out to Us! Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By karolinakitty On 2009.10.07 08:22
I wondered the same thing ....Speaking of movies.....

Jim always compares himself to the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz, right before a change in meds or someone from the movie Awakenings.....
He says the Tin Man because the stiffness and rigidity are like the Tin Man before they oiled him up....the upage in the dosage is like oil and gives a little relief to the stiffness and pain.....
He says the Awakenings because of the mind state before an upage... he says it's like your are in a coma right before and when the increase in meds starts acting it's like all of a sudden he ..."wakes up" ... i too notice the difference but thought i would throw this out to everyone becuase i think it's a good analogy......

By mylove On 2009.10.07 13:50
I think the facet that moves me so much about the movie "A Beautiful Mind" is that Alicia did not duck and run, in the face of what must have seemed to be an insurmountable challenge. They chose to stay and fight for John's sanity; something that he may not have been able to achieve if not for the parameters and structure of her encouragement. She was able to see him for who he was, not the sum of his illness.

Those things give me hope.

And with a wink I would also add that reality is subjective. If it is real to you, is that just your reality? Who is to say that we can't choose to live in whichever reality works for us? I've heard a few of you say that the times that you got by best with your loved ones was when you did not fight the odd notions and out of place thoughts, but just found a way to work around. Somebody on one of the last posts about mental processes said (to the effect): "I chose to live in her reality".

That said, both this movie and Awakenings made me cry, and not in a bad way. :)

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you