For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Luck with seroquel or clozaril? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lynn On 2009.10.28 21:32
Would like information from you guys on whether you had luck with these two drugs. My hubby gets so wound up, has poor impulse control, has dementia and ends up falling. He gets going around 2:00 in the afternoon and goes until his nighttime meds. Please advise regarding your experiences.

By annwood On 2009.10.28 21:38
Yes, we used them when my husband's behavior became similiar to your husband's. Initially they helped but eventually he became resistant to them. Both produce sleep so I wonder if you don't want to use them in the evening to avoid being up all night with him when they wear off. My husband took them with his night meds. Clorazil requires weekly blood tests for the first 6 months and then every 2 weeks - a real pain. Ask your physician what he thinks about this schedule. Good luck. This stage is really rough. You just can't turn your back for a second. There is no impulse control so even if you ask them to sit still for a brief time they can't. Stay strong. Stay with us.

By lbellomy On 2009.10.28 21:39
My husband takes Seroquel. If your LO has dementia start with the lowest dose. Then gradually increase it. I do not know if Seroquel will help with falling but it does quiet my husband. In fact I give him 25 mg at night to help him sleep.
Lorraine

By caregivermary On 2009.10.29 09:25
My husb has been on seroquel for over 1 yr. I give it at night and he sleeps very well. My husb has started moving around lately in the evening too. Unfortunately, he has had an increase in falls. I have ativan and have given him a low dose to quiet him down. It just seems they just want to keep moving.

By Reflection On 2009.10.29 11:13
could he have too much medication in his system in the afternoon?
Or an overly stimulating mix?
You might raise that with his neurologist. While the pills only come in certain doses, a pill cutter can give you the options of half, a quarter, or three quarters of the current dose.
Also someone here has posted a protocol of taking smaller, more frequent doses of Parkinson's medications - I can't find it now, but I'm hoping someone else might know the link. Typically, the more even the medication levels, the evener the mood and behavior - and it's better for neurons.

By Reflection On 2009.10.29 11:20
a clarification: I know you said your husband has dementia.
My experience is that I can't tell true dementia (the neurons just aren't there) from the behaviors caused by too much or the wrong drugs. MyLovedOneWithParkinsons has some cognitive, moos & behavioral issues, but a reduction in medications made these significantly better - far less paranoia, aggression, compulsions. While fluctuations are expected with Lewy Body disease, which in turn is associated with Parkinson's, if those fluctuations are regular - starting at 2, going the afternoon - it might be worth seeing if your husband might cooperate wtih a trial of reducted dosages and perhaps smaller, more frequent doses.

By caregivermary On 2009.10.29 13:36
reflection,

first, i want to thank you for the link to pdcast. it was extremely informative.

my husb is on a 7, 10, 1, 4, 7 pd med schedule. recently, i reduced the 10 dose from 2 sinement to 1 1/2 and did get some improvement. we are going on 20 yrs with a recent dx of dementia. I know you are responding to Lynn but i'm in a similiar place and i'm concerned if we reduce the pd meds too much, there will be no mobility. of course, any big change is a discussion for the dr.

By pegk3548 On 2009.11.01 12:47
Clozaril has been a life saver for my husband and for me. He has been on it since 2002. At the time he was put on it he was admited to the hospital because he was having severe hallucinations, confusion, and delusions. Life was a nightmare. It has helped tremendously. I know I would have gone crazy if things had continued the way they were. Yes the blood tests are a pain but nothing compared to the living hell life was then. He now only has to have the blood test once a month. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Peg

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you