For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Home Health, both OT & PT and Health Aide!!!!!! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By dkleinert On 2009.11.05 02:07
Millions of thanks to all of you who encouraged me and gave me advice to keep plugging away at having Home Health come to the house. For the last 4 weeks my husband has had PT and OT coming 2 times a week each. The Social Worker came also, and she sent a referral to Council on Aging here in NC, and Monday their rep came out and now I have someone who will be coming 2 days a week while I am at work to be with my husband to make sure he takes his medication, eats at least one meal and will do light house keeping. I am ecstatic!!!!!! And there is no cost!!! Incredible. The rep told me that they send us a statement each month, and if we can pay any toward it, then fine, but that it is not a bill and she said some people can only pay $5 a month, and that is fine. She was great.

I am so encouraged to have all of this help! Also, she has arranged for someone to be available for medical appointment transportation also if I can't take my husband to an appt because I have to work. I am just amazed that all of this is happening. I am sooooo grateful to Bandido1, Langerhans, Emma and all of you who gave me advice, told me what to say, etc. I don't have words to tell you how much I love and care about all of you. You are my only advocates, and it means the world to me. THANK YOU!

By Emma On 2009.11.05 05:01
Bravo! Yeah! Plugging away paid off and something finally worked out for you. I consider you my friend I'm so happy for you!!! This will be a huge blessing and relief for you and it will be great for your husband to have someone there part of the time while you're gone. Your happy post made my day!

By Pearly4 On 2009.11.05 06:13
How wonderful for you! It feels like a minor miracle doesn't it?! Persistence pays sometimes. It's so easy to become discouraged and give up and just do it yourself, but so wonderful when something finally seems to go right and help rides in!

By karolinakitty On 2009.11.05 09:03
Congrats DK !!!!!!!!!!
I hope when it's time i can get the same help here in SC.....Great job and now you can take a breath ....just awesome.....

By caregivermary On 2009.11.05 11:15
I am so happy for you. You deserve a rest and the peace of mind this help will bring.

By annwood On 2009.11.05 11:27
Good job!! One of the things we caregivers learn is assertiveness.

By overwhelmedinFL On 2009.11.05 14:53
What a great post. I can tell you have a weight off your shoulders, even if it is just a bit.

By dkleinert On 2009.11.05 22:20
Oh, all of you - THANK YOU for the courage you give to me. You have truly been the "wind beneath my wings" thru all of this so far. I can't put into words how thankful I am for you. Just today the service called that will take my husband to doc appts if they have to be scheduled on the days I work (already one on the books today), and I no longer have to take off work - and that now means no income lost for that day!! Just that alone is incredible help and a relief, financially.

The other day I sat mouth open when the rep from Council on Aging told us that there was no charge for their aide services, both for doc appts and for coming to the house for 4 hour visits 2 times per week and more later as we need it.......and we could pay if we could afford to, but there was no obligation......I am still amazed at that. I know you told me it could happen!!! :)

P.S. I have to apologize to LOHENGR!N - I see that I misspelled your name in my earlier post - don't know what I was thinking (or not, obviously) - so please forgive the awful misspelling.

HUGS to all of you my friends!!!

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.11.06 01:06
lol, dkleinert, no worries call me whatever, (I am glad you posted this though...I thought I might have changed my screen name and then forgot!!!)

p.s. you should see my posts before going through spell check! Then again maybe it's best you don't!

Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By lostdaughter On 2009.11.07 20:15
Wonderful news that you're going to receive some help. You will be AMAZED how much stress it will take off you not to have to watch the clock at work, rush home, etc. to get to those appts. I had a hard time letting go of feeling like I had to control all my mom's appts. & be present for all of them. Not that my being there did any good. Now that I've stepped back, it's taken a ton of stress off me. I would have lost my job by now if I had to take her to all her appts. No joke. I'm so glad for you. Take all the help you can get - you deserve it!!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you