For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic isradipine clinical trial Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2009.11.09 12:29
For those interested, there is a clinical trial going on at NW Univ. for isradipine. This drug is actually used for high blood pressure, but they believe it may help PD since it operates as a calcium channel blocker. This is a Phase II trial so they already have some evidence in the lab of this claim.

I won't bore everyone with what this theory is, I know you have very limited time and I couldn't explain it accurately anyway. Suffice it to say that isradipine has been out there for YEARS for the high blood pressure with very few bad side effects, so safety is not the issue it might be if the drug were new. Of course, you have to monitor the blood pressure while on it, but those medical grade blood pressure kits are accurate and cheap, I think less than forty bucks at Costco (ours will even average three readings into one!).

I know several PDers who have been on isradipine for 2-3 years, and have experienced little to no progression. You can go on other forums, particularly neurotalk, and search the forum to get the specifics. I don't think the claim is that isradipine cures PD, rather, the theory is that is slows progression, and who couldn't use that?

Note: I have read if you want to white-rat this and get it from your doc (GP or neuro, both can Rx it), you NEED name brand, which is Dynacirc. Some of the generics and/or other calcium channel blockers do not cross the blood brain barrier and thus would be irrelevant for purposes of affecting the PD. We are going to try this since we feel stable on the reduced mirapex now, and have the OK from our GP to do it provided we take blood pressure readings BEFORE taking the dynacirc, just to be sure the pressure is not already too low. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Heaven help us, yet another pill....

By dkleinert On 2009.11.10 00:17
lurkingforacure: Thank you for this great information - I had never heard of isradipine. I know I am probably naive about this, but can you tell me- can our Neuro prescribe this now or does it have to be thru a clinical trial? I will surely ask her next time we see her next month if it is something she can prescribe.

By susger8 On 2009.11.10 07:54
Dkleinert, it's on the market currently so it can be prescribed off-label. (Meaning, it can be prescribed for an indication that it's not approved for.) So you don't need to be in a clinical trial.

Sue

By netgypsy On 2009.11.10 09:35
Sounds very interesting. Unfortunately our problem is low blood pressure and fainting. Inters tingly enough though if this drug really works it is possible to take another drug to raise the blood pressure at the same time so it's not totally off limits to those with low blood pressure. So we'll be looking forward to hearing your experience with this drug. Thanks for posting

By lurkingforacure On 2009.11.10 09:55
Isradipine is out there already, has been for years. So any doc can rx it, and the fact that is is in a clinical trial for PD will help neuros be more inclined to script it for you than if it weren't. I'm speaking from experience, our neuro listens to our alternative stuff, but usually he won't script it for us because it's too "out there" and he has parameters he has to operate within.

On dosage, note that dynacirc is a time release pill, so no cutting it into smaller dosages. I want to say that the dose being used in the clinical trial is 10mg, although I know PDers who take smaller doses and have had little to no progression since taking them. We are going to go for what is being used in the trial, and start with 5mg in the am and another 5mg in the pm, if he can tolerate it. We'll keep everyone posted.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you