For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Just curious.. Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By karolinakitty On 2009.11.10 19:43
I was talking with the lady at the bank yesterday, her grandfather had PD. We were discussing the sames and differences in our loved ones. She happen to bring up a tooth problem her grandfather had. When he was at the swallowing problem they crushed his sinemet for easier swallowing. However it turned out that the crushing it produced a chemical that ate away his teeth. he had severe tooth and jaw pain. The dentist told him about the sinemet and also mentioned that even if he had the teeth taken out he still may have the jaw pain due to the chemical affecting it...
Now my man has a different tooth problem. One of his main tremors is the "shivering". By that i mean his jaw tremors and it sounds like he's shivering or got a chill. His teeth are breaking in pieces due to these tremors......

Anybody have these problems? like i said just curious.....

By Pearly4 On 2009.11.11 16:21
My mother had a horrible mouth - it wasn't from chewing medications though. What we were told was that it was the grinding and clenching along with the loss of dexterity needed to actually brush her teeth. I'm don't doubt that lack of dental are hadn't figured into that before she came to live with us. Once the tooth is bad it breaks easily for whatever reasons. I suppose any acid or "chemical" created by chewing something (even food) could damage an exposed nerve in a bad tooth. Would wonder which came first?

By the way, have you ever tried taking the pills with applesauce? My mother found it hard to swallow any pill ever and had always taken them with applesauce. No crushing needed, the went down easily, no protein, and it worked for her for years.

We did find one dental clinic that had income based fees -- no medicaid or insurance required, all income based with medical expenses etc. deducted. Helped my mother considerably and they gave her a expensive electric tooth brush too. Our income didn't figure into it even though she lived with us. We were flabbergasted when we found out about them (I think it was aging resources who gave us the name but they served all ages, not just senior patients). The dental surgery she required was not covered, but just consistency in care helped make her more comfortable. I wonder if they coudl ahve fashioned a dental guard in a case like your husband's?

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you