For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Balance Issues- One problem at a time Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By smith2628 On 2009.11.13 13:09
My dad is now falling quite often. He doesnt seem to think his balance is off though :). I guess this is the part where he is in denial? Im moving my mom and him to a one story for safety. Im also getting him to start physical therapy to help with that issue. I wonder if there are PTs that come to your house that medicare covers? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help the balance issues? Im trying to take every new symptom one problem at a time. God help me. Also, it seems odd to me that as soon as he got diagnosed and on sinemet he has immediately had all the symptoms he never had before! He only had a tremor in his right hand and now he has delusions and balance issues and walks slower....but no tremor. Ill take the tremor back!

By in-faith On 2009.11.13 13:38
We've been blessed not to have trouble with the medication, but I have heard that it is often requires a lot of trial and error. It sounds like the medication isn't working for your dad. I'd be getting him back to the dr right away. Do you have a PD dr? Often family doctors have limited knowledge about PD.

By overwhelmedinFL On 2009.11.14 01:57
My mom sees a neuro at a movement disorder clinic. They have written a script for home health therapy with a home health company that has a program specific for balance and for the parkinson's gait.

Ask your doctor about it. I cannot say it will fix the issues but it could help. We are struggling through similar stuff right now too. Hang in there. Our neuro just prescribed a new drug for my mom called Azilect..almost 300.00 a month. I sure hope it helps.

I cannot offer the help others on here can, I am pretty new to this myself and doing as much research as I can.

Hang in there.

By smith2628 On 2009.11.14 05:24
thank you I will definetely find out about home health. Its so hard to see his decline and so rapidly. I cant stop crying. Every day it gets worse. He was so healthy a few months ago. Thanks again

By overwhelmedinFL On 2009.11.14 08:45
I am sorry. I know it is hard. My mom was doing the conga line in June and getting up and around without thinking about it. She is now dependent on a walker mostly and has falled probably a dozen times that I know of.

The balance test they do at her neuro (where they stand behind her and pull on her shoulders) she is just now failing for the first time. Mom was riding a regular bike at the beginning of the year.

The hard part for me is that mom asked to move near me into an ALF and now has new doctors so even though I explain (and brought video of her doing the conga line in June) they don't "know" her enough to realize how drastic this is to the rest of us. At least that is my perception and I realize I am frustrated because it is my mom. I am considering taking her to her old doctors one more time which is about 3 hours way, but I don't know what they would do.

By annwood On 2009.11.14 11:37
Falling is part of PD. Some fall forward and some backwards. Convincing them that balance is off is another issue. Accept the fact that they are going to fall and do as much as you can to provide a safe environment. Take up throw rugs, keep paths uncluttered. I have watched my husband step around his walker to get somewhere. The last 6 months he would fall once or twice a day. He fractured two ribs and his wrist. His dementia was so bad that you literally could not leave him for a second. I would get him comfortable in a chair, ask him to sit there so that I could go to the bathroom (a luxury) and before I got the door closed I would hear him fall.

By WitsEnd On 2009.11.18 09:08
Annwood, as usual, is spot on with some really great advice. This is the progress of the disease unfortunately.

It used to make me so mad when I tried to tell a doctor dad's condition had worsened and what he was doing wasn't "normal" and they wouldn't listen. I even had one of them tell me "he's just old".

I remember wanting the tremor back too. I never did understand why it went away when he got so much worse in other ways.

Dad's birthday was this week. I know he's better off where he's at, but it's still been a kinda tough week.

Hang in there.

By annwood On 2009.11.18 11:37
Yes, those anniversaries and birthdays can be rough. My husband died two years ago right after Xmas. I remember Xmas that year as being so sad. Now as I get ready for another one he is on my mind and I miss him. Like you I hope he is in a better place. It couldn't be much worse than the last few weeks for him. I have a Mass said every year on my husband's birthday, date of death and our wedding anniversary. I go to the service and think about him - it helps me.

By smith2628 On 2009.11.18 13:32
Thank you everyone who responded. Im happy to say (at least for now) that he is doing much better. I took it upon myself to change the meds and increase the Carbidopa after realizing that he was getting worse between 2pm and 3pm each day. The new mediaction regimen helped a lot! He hasnt fallen in 5 days. I know that each milestone with this disease is temporary but it sure helps right now. He is back to him self almost. Using a cane now but still so much better.
Its so hard to see you parents decline. Especially when you see how they were only months ago. Doctors dont undertsand that. Especially new doctors. Each new symptom breaks off a piece of your heart.
His last neuro appt. me and my other two sisters all went with my dad as we all had something to say. His doctor was so astonished that the whole family was there! LOL. He told my dad that with all this love, he would be fine. I think it helped him get better. Love to you all

By annwood On 2009.11.18 16:05
Glad things are improving. Enjoy the good times with him. I hope that you will stay with us.

By in-faith On 2009.11.18 18:19
What a blessing for you to have your sister's support and your Dad to have such love from you both. I often feel very alone in this, especially when we face yet another challenge. I am thankful that I am able to be home and help care for my in-laws, but I do feel overwhelmed at times (both have PD, MIL is becoming quite bad). My husband is very appreciative and supportive, and he does help where he can.

By Mary On 2009.11.19 15:52
smith2628, I am glad things have improved for your Dad. You and your Dad are blessed to have the support of your other sisters as well. I did not have support while caring for my Dad who recently passed away but they all want to pick through his things now. My Dad passed away on my son's birthday. My son is very close to his grandfather. It makes me sad that he has that as a birthday memory.

I remember all too well the ups and downs, good days and bad of this awful disease - all you can do is enjoy what you get and continue to hope for better - there is no other way to get through the day.

annwood, I like the idea of having a Mass said on special occasions - I'm going to copy you on that one!

Hugs and blessings, Mary

By WitsEnd On 2009.11.19 16:08
My dad passed away on the 19th and my birthday was the 23rd. We knew it was coming and I was praying so hard it wouldn't be on my birthday. I scheduled the funeral for the day after my birthday. We had to take dad back home to Alabama and my birthday was the soonest date....and I refused to do that on my birthday. There were lots of sad memories and losses at the end....but at that point it wasn't about him anymore--it was about me--and that was one sad memory I could control.

The mass idea is a good one. Also the funeral home planted a tree in memory.
A friend and I visited a really old cemetery one time where they had let people plant trees on their loved ones graves. It was pretty amazing seeing these hundred year old trees with their roots reaching down. My friend swore that a part of that person lived on in that tree.

I'm glad your dad is doing better. You often know more about your loved one than the doctors and common sense often does as much good as what the doctors prescribe. They don't see your dad every day--you do. And hats off to your whole family for providing the love and support and advocacy he needs. You are a blessing.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you