For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Anxiety Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By MaryNJ On 2009.11.13 17:22
Hi all. As I've posted before my father has PD.. He's being scheduled for DBS in the next few weeks. In the meanwhile, his Dr.'s, including the neuropsychiatrist, has identified his having an anxiety disorder (or issues at least with anxiety) and have prescribed two different medications for it. He refuses to take either of them, though, and when his anxiety gets out of control he's totally irrational. Have other people dealt with this? He tells me he won't take either pill b/c he "doesn't want to take another pill" but he's on so many other meds that I don't really believe that. It's frustrating b/c his behavior has been the main issue that we've been dealing with and this anxiety is adding to it.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Mary

By packerman On 2009.11.13 17:37
Mary,
you could Google "DBS Forums" or "DBS Surgery" and find a community for him to talk with. maybe his anxiety stems from the unknown?

my husband has learned A LOT from the one he checks in with.(can't remember the web address right now) folks range from those who've had surgery several years ago to those researching the procedure in anticipation of having it.

good luck!
Pat

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.11.13 20:05
Mary, I believe anxiety attacks and issues are very under reported and very common with P.D. wether from the disease itself or from med's. I've been mulling over posting about this for a few days now but since you opened the door. Pat, yes the anxiety probably does stem from the unknown, or the not knowing what to expect. Also the feeling of not being able to have some control of what's happening real or imagined and probibly a chemical inbalance.

This can be crippling and hard to explain for some. Living with Parkinson's is at times the pits, but I don't have to tell anyone here this. Thinking about posts from caregivers on the sometimes stubbornness of their charges when something is planned then at the last minute the they refuse to go. I can totally relate. When a panic or anxiety attack hits it is awful, we try to rationalize and talk ourselves out of the feeling but it is still there. The dread, the feeling of if I go something bad will happen. Some may not truly know what is taking place only feeling don't do it! It's hard to explain to some one. I'm 6ft tall and weigh about 210lbs. when you're parked at the mall and all of a sudden one hits so you don't want to go in .......well try telling your caregiver you're afraid to or dread going in! That would raise an eyebrow and cause a look. Many would rather a tongue lashing or lecture about how stubborn you've become than admit it. We're grown Men and Women, we're not supposed to fear these things. We're Fathers and Mothers We kept you safe and were your protectors while you grew up, We were akin to super heroes and now? We're frail and afraid somehow We're failing You. We tremor visibly, slur our speech we're inline at a checkout fumbling our money people watching. We're told it's ok no one notices but We're our own worse critics.

Anxiety attacks are like the hives in the respect that they hit fast and take time to abate and go away. It takes time to ride them out. So one can imagine many responses to questions on actions. I take too many pills already or because I feel like it or don't feel like it. Mostly they're a leave it alone for a few and let me ride this out response. An anything to just left be for a minute.

I try to speak for those who can't put it in words from time to time here on issues that come up. Not because many can't speak but because some of these issues are ones that you just didn't discuss while being raised in the times were raised or because of gender bias of those times where Men didn't talk about or show feelings. I hope I did justice in explaining some of this behavior, I'm not saying that it is what is always happening, but it might be what is happening. So if it happens take a deep breath, drive around the block try it again and if no go it's ok try again at some other time if possible. Communication, educating ourselves and others are keys to understanding and coping. We're all in this together. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By lglantz On 2009.11.13 22:26
Hi Mary, my mom also has a lot of anxiety with her Parkinson's. She has tried numerous antidepressants but doesn't stay on anything because of "side effects" and thinks she doesn't need to be on them. She is also on klonopin for the anxiety. I do think these attacks are related to the disease and she is like a different person when she starts to get anxious. She's had Parkinson's disease about 13 years and the littlest thing can make her anxious now. She was never like that before and it is hard to deal with her when she is like that. She becomes somewhat irrational. Not sure if the stubborness is from the PD or not. She seems to be getting more stubborn as time goes on.

By bandido1 On 2009.11.14 15:04
Mary: patient bob here: I'm going to start by copying ALS reply -paragraph one.

Mary, I believe anxiety attacks and issues are very under reported and very common with P.D. wether from the disease itself or from med's. I've been mulling over posting about this for a few days now but since you opened the door. Pat, yes the anxiety probably does stem from the unknown, or the not knowing what to expect. Also the feeling of not being able to have some control of what's happening real or imagined and probibly a chemical inbalance.

I agree with the Al. Anxiety attacks are common with all PD'ers. Although DB surgery may well be the trigger mechanism for this attack, it doesn't take much to trigger one. Sometimes even a raised voice discussion with my spouse can send me off in a "mini snit". I used to be what people called "calm, cool and collected". These days it doesn't take much to turn me into the "Husband from Helll". My best advice to you is a kind of reversal of my tough love policy for patients. SUCK IT UP! See?? I'm having an anxiety attack! Bob C

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you