For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Annwood Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lynn On 2009.11.15 18:50
My husband is at the lousy part of PDD. He had shoulder surgery a couple of days ago to repair his blown out shoulder from repeated falls. He is on seroquel but still has energy and no impulse control. I simply can not prevent the falls and now he must keep the shoulder immobilizer on. He does not understand any commands and is very paranoid. He's still in the hospital but that will end soon. The doctors don't want him too sedated because of the risk of pneumonia. What Am I to do? I'm between a rock and a hard place. How long did this part of your husband's pd last?

By annwood On 2009.11.15 19:42
This very difficult part of the dementia lasted 7 months before he died. It is exhausting, I know. Remember that the anesthesia has contributed to his confusion. I would ask the physicians what they think you should do. At this point I needed either nursing home care or full time help at home. My husband was in a nursing home for three weeks but they kicked him out because they were unable to manage him. I brought him home and hired people to help me at night. For the last three months it took help around the clock to control him. You wonder where they get that energy, don't you? This person was not my husband. It was someone I didn't know.

Feel free to ask me anything. I will help as I can. I feel for you more than you'll ever know. I don't know that I could ever go through that again.

By WitsEnd On 2009.11.16 16:34
The bad part of the PD with the dementia and falling lasted about 7 months for dad as well. God bless and hang in there.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you