For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Muscle spasms Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By hubb On 2009.11.23 10:24
Thanks for the tips - I will ask dr. about Zanaflex and can already try the mustard. At 3 a.m. when both legs are spasming, I'd try anything and everything. We have tried massage, hot showers, walking it off, the extra dosage of synamet (and the symptoms between over medicating and under medicating are the same, so that's a fine line to tread). I have tried dilligently to chart everything he ate, did, time of meds, and anything else I could think of to see if there was anything that stood out that brought on these spasms but could not detect anything...just think PD has a mind of its own and there's no rhyme nor reason.

In the many years we have been dealing with PD, some of the things that have helped us is to join in PD associations, national and state, as you get newsletters which are helpful, notices of symposiums which are always helpful. We went to many symposiums and picked up lots of literature, so have a shelf full of PD material and I actually re-read them every now and then when a new problem pops up, which you can just count on happening. Also support groups are very helpful. In our state, the PD assoc. has started a registry of PD patients so that when trial offers are available, you are notified in case you wish to participate. And they also found that PD patients seem to be in clusters and those were mainly agricultural, thereby adding credence to the thought that pesticides have something to do with it. But I agree with others who have mentioned predisposition to PD as only some working with pesticides contract PD while others in the same situation do not. Like everything else with PD, it's a big puzzle. We have often wondered if my husband's delayed symptoms was due to the fact that when he was originally put on medication (about 3 years after original diagnosis) it was selegeline (which was in disfavor with neurologist in US at the time but widely used in Europe) and 2000 units of Vit. E, which it was later determined was of no particular help in PD...just things you wonder about when dealing with PD. Just hope that one of these days they find out why we get PD and then they'll be able to find out how to cure it. At least, the disease gets lots more publicity now than it ever has in the past and we don't feel so alone in this battle, especially with the Forum here to help us, and especially when a little levity is thrown in...difficult to keep a sense of humor some days, but that does help a lot.

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.11.23 16:33
Muscle Spasms...

They say "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" , if this is true then at times I believe Parkinson's Disease is the Mother of necessity! Last Christmas my Sis gave me one of those massager pillow things (won't mention the brand here as it isn't relevant). My back is a wreck (compression fractures thorax and in lumbar region a couple of ruptured disc's). I am hesitant to use it on my back as the problems are structural not muscular. A few months ago while being driven up the wall with cramping calves, my hands aching from trying to massage the cramps away to the point of that great carpal tunnel syndrome reminding what those braces lying around are for, I spied the box sitting in the corner. To make a long story short, I grabbed the pillow, plugged it in, slung my leg over, resting the calve between the little raises where the small posts rotate. The warmth, and kneading action aaahhhhh. It worked. It also helped mend a fence or two because I found a use for the gift....not quite what it was intended for but it turned out useful and my sister is happy it isn't just sitting in the corner. Just a tip to try or not from a lone Parkinson's patient. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you