For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Tis the season Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LOHENGR1N On 2009.12.17 00:24
This time of year is tough on Us all. It seems We as the Human animal think of the past and look to the future. The holidays magnify this. It is hard, very hard at times. I believe We patients and caregivers/partners both think about past holidays and future ones. My holiday wish for all is to enjoy these days as much as possible. Those who've lost loved ones, remember they're in a better place and this disease has lost any hold on them. Those struggling on remember not the past but every good second experienced through this time. Dwell upon the positive and cherish it as it happens, ignore the negative as much as you can. Rein in your worries of what may or will happen down the line. Barring random lightening strikes, Buses or the gauntlet of dangers encountered daily, things will get worse don't rush it.

Statistics point to this or that developing but conversely they point to the percentage of this or that not happening also.

Be optimistic, not in denial. Hope the medicine works for when family or company comes by. Put aside the worry others won't see what you have to deal with. Hope for You and your loved ones sake you both enjoy the company. Be happy not for the sake of those visiting but for Patient and Caregiver/Partner, holding grandchildren or children, if You have to help or need the help holding them try not to be saddened by the decline but gladdened by this chance for both of you to share the holding, together with love. Take these days hour by hour, minute by minute or second by second, squeeze every good moment from them and discard the bad ones. Remember those gone fondly at these times, laugh at the joys past and joke of events shared by all. This is my wish for all of you. And if we can do this then.....then perhaps the miraculous magic of this season will touch our hearts, melt our troubles and fears if only a moment, we'll find the strength, courage and reason fight on into the future. Be kind to each other, have safe and happy holidays all. Take care, best of luck and hang in there. Sincerely Al.

By hubb On 2009.12.17 14:56
You are such a good writer and that is all good advice - thanik you. I plan to print this out and re-read it during some of these trying times. Thanks again.

By Newcaregiver On 2009.12.17 15:48
How very uplifting! thank you.

By Mary On 2009.12.17 16:07
Al, that was wonderful! You are a gifted writer. We are so blessed to have you as a forum friend. I also wish everyone happy holidays and best wishes and a great big thank you for the support you have given me. You are all truly a blessing in my life. Hugs and blessings, Mary

By annwood On 2009.12.17 22:26
Thank you, Al. We all needed to hear this - very well done.

By overwhelmedinFL On 2009.12.18 00:15
Thank you. I needed that. It has been a rough couple of week for mom and today a really bady day.

She did come make cookies with me two days ago and got to hold my friends newborn. I was very worried and she game me the look of "GET AWAY" and I looked at my friend and she smiled...so I backed off. Afterall, mom successfully raised 6 of us.

Thanks again for your words and thoughts.

Happy Holidays

By 4steele On 2009.12.18 20:25
Good evening, friends
I have been lurking, waiting for my chance to respond and grateful for you all. My husband has PD, just resigned from his job this week. He's 59, diagnosed 6 years ago, just this week "released" from his job in medicine after 30 years. I need you all. This has been tough and getting tougher.
Thank you in advance for being here.
Joey

By karolinakitty On 2009.12.18 22:20
4steele, Welcome and jump in any time. If you have to vent just do so. We don't judge and everyone is here to help in whatever way we can. Never be afraid to post. Even if your pdr in is a different place than others we are still here to help when we can. If we don't know, we'll say that too. there are many folks here who have been there and done that so please feel free to jump in anytime.

Al....the Great Sage does it again.... Happy Holidays!!!!!!

By annwood On 2009.12.18 23:07
Welcome, Joey!! So glad that you have joined us - we need everyone's input on this forum. If you have been lurking you know that many of us are in different stages of this disease and you also know that no two cases of PD are alike. You are never judged here and although we have been known to get into a squabble or two we all settle down in time. This caregiving thing is REALLY HARD and unless you have or are doing it you can never imagine just how hard it is. I found all of my support here on this forum - they are great people. Al & Bob are PDers who keep us in line. Stay with us - we are always here.

By Emma On 2009.12.19 04:32
Welcome to the forum! I can honestly say that it has been a lifesaver for me. Being able to vent and ask questions is invaluable, as is knowing that you are not alone. We will be here for you.

Lohengrin, thank you once again for your insight and wisdom. You are a blessing to us.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you