For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic dementia Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2010.01.16 16:25
I have just read of an antihistamine, dimebon, which has apparently done well in trials for Alz, and they are looking into it for Huntindon's and PD. Dimebon is an old antihistamine and in Russian studies the Alz. improvement (note: not holding steady, they say the folks improved over baseline) was impressive. I have no idea whether the Russian studies are credible and/or meet our rather rigorous clinical trial criteria, but they are there....

Trials are currently underway here in this country of this drug. I have read it could be available as early as 2012 if all goes well, the usual big IF, but still, I find that encouraging. Oddly, they don't really understand how it works (HA!, I just love that) but somehow it does, and in the last clinical trial it met ALL FIVE endpoints, which is huge if you know anything about clinical trials. The current trial is a phase III, let's keep our fingers crossed.

If I could get my hands on some dimebon, I would! I think it's illegal right now, at least in the USA, but for the life of me I have no idea why since it's just an antihistamine and we have tons of those OTC already. Here's a link about dimebon (sorry the article is from an investor's standpoint, but it was the most comprehensive article I could find that offered some background as well):

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/2010/01/13/jpmorgan-challenge-on-the-cusp-of-greatness.aspx

Hang in there everyone.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you