For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Eating Problem Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lynnie On 2010.02.04 21:51
I was wondering if any of you have this symptom. Sometimes when my PD spouse starts to eat a sandwich and takes a bite, I notice a string of his saliva or a thickness has formed. It only happens on the first bite and then he's okay. It doesn't happen all of the time and he doesn't notice unless I mention it.
He is on Warfarin beside his PD meds. Is this a symptom of PD or something else?
I have mentioned it to our MDS and he didn't say anything.

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.02.05 15:25
Drooling is a common secondary symptom of Parkinson's Disease. If the drooling becomes a major problem the Neurologist can prescribe medication to help with it. If it's not a major problem I wouldn't worry right now. Pointing out things that the patient isn't aware of may increase the anxiety level or feelings of self-consciousness adding to stress and worsening of Parkinson's symptoms. Parkinson's is incurable (at present time), it is progressive, We can't stop it. We can't treat or suppress every symptom. We can try to make life easier, we can't make life all better. This is a hard road you now find yourself traveling down, please stay with us and please keep posting We'll try to answer your questions there are some very wonderful and knowledgeable People here willing to help if they can. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By hubb On 2010.02.05 19:50
We just had our semi annual neurology appointment and my husband asked about the thick secretion. Dr. explained that he didn't swallow as much, due to PD, as other people do just reflexively...we do it and don't even realize we are doing it, PD patients can't. This pools in the mouth and either ends up like your husband and mine, or drooling (which seems to happen during night time sleep to my husband) plus the drainage from sinus, and you have thick, ropy secretion. They suggested drinking water or using a dry mouth type mouthwash, which really doesn't help, or just spitting it out, which does help. Just another "loverly" part of the progression of the disease and you just learn to live with it and let it go.

By Lynnie On 2010.02.07 13:10
Thanks Hubb. for your imput. I thought it must have something to do with PD. It's not a real problem, but could be a little embarrassing if he were eating in a restaurant, but otherwise it's okay and doesn't happen all of the time.

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you