For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Frightened Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LC On 2010.03.06 22:09
I am frightened of what the future holds for my husband. He's been battling recurrent prostate cancer and now PD. In the past few years I've had to educate myself about prostate cancer now PD. I'm glad that I have found this forum. I'm sure that I will have many questions as time goes on. Thank you all for being there.

By hubb On 2010.03.07 14:46
One thing that I have learned thru this long journey with spouse's PD, is that you cannot borrow tomorrow's troubles...if you start looking into the future, you will become so bogged down and have such a hopeless feeling. Go back to Emma's message of 2/22 entitled Up, Down and all Around. That describes most of us - we're up one day then we're down, and we're all over the place. You will get where you want to walk out the door and never come back, and never hear the words Parkinson's again, but you cannot do that and really wouldn't do it, but all we can do is face one day at a time and take care of those problems. We know there is no cure but we can keep our spouses as comfortable as possible and see that they are well taken care of, and that's about all we can really do for them. It seems to me that my spouse is becoming more demanding all the time, and the deeper he is into PD, the more demanding he becomes - needing help dressing, showering, shaving, etc. and all of that makes me wonder where we are heading, but I have to draw myself back and just take care of today. Hope this advice isn't too much of a downer - usually I try to maintain a cheerful attitude for both of us, but sometimes it just wears you down. Stay with us, because there are so many people who contribute to the forum who have such good comments and advice that you feel like you have friends you don't even know.

By Emma On 2010.03.07 15:33
hubb and LC,

Amen. hubb's message says it all.

Em

By Mary On 2010.03.17 11:03
One day at a time is all we can do. If you start thinking about it all, it is too overwhelming! Hugs and blessings, Mary

By dkleinert On 2010.03.22 01:25
LC - Because PD is a fickle disease, what some of our loved ones experience and what you read on this forum may not be the same for you and your loved one. Some with PD progress thru the stages very slowly, and other rapidly, so as the others here have said with so much wisdom - don't worry about anything other than today. Give all the love and support you can for today, and then when you wake up tomorrow - do that same. Don't look back or borrow worry for tomorrow. Know you can come here to learn, vent and be supported by all of us who are in various stages of living with PD. We are here for you - you are not alone all along this journey.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you