For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Sinemet shortage? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By mylove On 2010.03.24 08:56
Whaaat's THIS new garbage? Has anyone else heard anything about this? Is there any truth in it? This came this morning in my digest from another group.

http://industry.bnet.com/pharma/10007299/parkinsons-disease-sufferers-in-panic-over-global-shortage-of-drug-that-keeps-their-symptoms-at-bay/

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.03.24 17:38
ML, First I've heard of that. However it makes sense to My cynical side! $$$$$, is probably what it all boils down to. We have several company's here in the states that produce generic equivalents to Sinemet. When generic's enter a market the brand name medicine's sales dip so the profit margin lessens (Might artificial shortages result not saying for sure but possible?) as insurances want to substitute generic for name brand thus saving $$$. Borderline unethical? Perhaps, Several years ago a company who's med I take had a competitor come out with a generic. This brand name company then produced it's own generic to gain back some of the share of business it lost, driving it's competitor out of the market. When they accomplished that it didn't make sense to keep producing a generic to compete with their own name brand so they stopped production of generic and that left only the protected brand name available. With all the healthcare reforms here and abroad who knows? Just a guess on my part, but it does happen.

We must not forget the Pharmaceutical Companies are business, their bottom line is profit. We are not individual people to them, we are consumers or customers. They want our money spent to purchase the product they vend, nothing more nothing less. In a better world they would see us for Moms and Dads, Grams and Gramps, brothers and sisters etc. But until that better world comes this is sometimes what happens. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you