For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Letting go of my father by Jonathan Rauch Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By caregivermary On 2010.04.05 20:20
go to this site and read this amazing story(our story) by Jonathan Rauch who found himself unprepared for one of life's near certainties-the decline of a parent.

www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/03/letting-go-of-my-father/8001/

By karolinakitty On 2010.04.05 20:57
Thanx for the article ...... it's right on .....

By MJ-Camano On 2010.04.05 21:27
What an excellent article, thank you for sharing. I sent it onto all of my children, I'm sure they will relate to it....

By Emma On 2010.04.06 10:07
Great article. I would send it to my husband's kids if they actually gave a rat's ass about him, which they don't. I did however send it to a friend who is caring for a father with Alzheimers. Thanks!

By lostdaughter On 2010.04.06 13:35
Thank you SO very much for sharing this article. I know it touches each of us on this forum.

By overwhelmedinFL On 2010.04.07 11:30
I needed this.... thank you.

By shakydog On 2010.04.08 00:19
I read this and my thoughts rest on the last memory I have of my parents. Dad was wrapped in a blanket, laying on the couch-no-one-sits-on. Dead for over an hour after struggling for 40 years with a bad heart and - in the end parkinson's. His last ride in the wheel chair was down the hall to the bathroom, pushed by his bride of 49 years.

Mom was sitting up in her bed in intensive care, ready to move to recovery when I parted the curtains and asked the nurse in the hall if she was alright. Nope.

I acted as caregiver, son, confidant and friend in the 12 years between these rights of passage and I can only offer this observation:

it's dumb to not accept help when you need it. Whether you want to accept it or not

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you