For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic A bed of roses.... Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By karolinakitty On 2010.04.19 09:02
I "stole" this idea from hubb. I read her reply "Sure isn't a bed of roses for patients or caretakers.", and got this......

A bed of roses …….with or without thorns?

That is what PD is for both patient and caregiver, a bed of roses.
It can be soft yet stabbing, fragrant yet pungent. A simple thing made complex by things out of our control.
There are many suggestions out there on how to keep a rose looking its best and making it last a long time. The flower itself is so perfect in its form that nothing done by human hands can make such a complex model. The rose means so many different things, depending on its color and variety, the reason it was given and joy or sorrow associated with it.
How do you keep a rose lasting so long? Some say an aspirin, others say fresh water daily. Some florists will sell you preservative to help keep it looking great. When in reality, I have seen fresh cut roses last a good month, with changing water regularly and keeping them in half light, half dark. However, you may have seen firsthand something totally different. Perhaps your rose is different than my rose, maybe a different variety, one bred for a different climate or lighting. You may have one with a stronger stem, a thicker stem to help support it, but you may have one that is covered with thick heavy thorns, that fights off the enemy. Others may have thin spiny stems with few leaves or thorns. No protection from bugs or disease.
If you’ve ever peeled rose leaves, you know the complexity of the flower. Even when a rose opens up the way the petals roll back on each flower is special to its own variety. There are roses that mock other flowers, one variety opens real full to look like a peony with all its glory, while others tightly roll back their petals until you can’t see anything but lines or waves. It is each rose’s duty to follow the way of its own special variety. To react to the climate and lighting around it, to develop as it was meant to be.
What happens to a rose when it can’t control its surroundings? It goes to the way of the surroundings. Without the right mixture of sunlight, water and temperature it will most likely wither and fade.
We’ve all seen or heard about the bed of rose petals, satin sheets and the like. How romantic and pleasurable. However, did you ever fall into a rose bush, a bed of roses? Not so nice. Cuts and scrapes all over.
When first getting the diagnosis, the first thorn hits. The reality of dealing with a disease that, like a cut rose, withers away our flower, and eventually ends in the death of our rose. The second thorn comes with the medications. Is it worth the side effects? Will it even help? We want to preserve our rose as long as we can. So we try all kinds of things to keep our rose looking its best.
Our rose has different meanings to us, and as we help to preserve that rose, more reasons come along. Our lover and friend, teacher or parent, someone we have looked up to, leaned on, whatever, our preservation techniques differ with each flower we have. If we could only just take away the thorns it might be a little easier but they are its defense.
Each thorn that stabs us is another defense in preserving our rose, each progression, each new “thing” that happens is a way for us to preserve our rose. If we allow these thorns to make us stronger then the defense is working. If we allow these thorns to hurt us, if we cut them off, then we have let the enemy defeat us.
Both as caregiver and patient, preservation is what we want. We want to preserve as much as we possibly can and for as long as we possibly can. Everybody’s way is different, for our rose, our climate our breeding.
I love my bed of roses. Whether it be soft yet stabbing, fragrant or pungent, romantic and pleasurable or cuts me all up. I want my rose to be the best he can be for as long as he can be.

By mylove On 2010.04.19 09:05
Thank you. Thank you, thank you thank you. :)

By anidaholady On 2010.04.20 21:39
Wow - that is eloquent. Thank you!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you