For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic A plea to change the website's background color. Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By mapslinger On 2010.04.23 14:52
To the site administrators:

This site is an incredibly valuable resource, but it's difficult to read much of the content - due to black text on a green background.

Would you please consider changing this?

By mapslinger On 2010.04.23 14:57
[deleted]

By shakydog On 2010.04.24 00:36
Ok. I'll agree the colors of the text and background make it tough to read. Hi mapslinger, what kinda maps do you sling?

By caregivermary On 2010.04.24 10:46
Map,

Just some feedback from a PD caregiver. The screen set-up are ok for me and might be for your family. The contrast doesn't affect my viewing.

My opinion.

By Emma On 2010.04.24 10:53
I agree with caregivermary, the contrast doesn't bother me. I kind of like the soft green background, for me it's easy on the eyes, not harsh or glaring. Vision is like everything else, different for everyone I guess.

By jsmitch On 2010.04.24 11:06
Changing colors on a web site are bit more complex that flipping a switch. It is not just a "background color" that gets changed. All related graphics and any component that carries that color must be changed as well.

When dealing with millions of colors, how it actually shows up on individual screens can vary based on brand of monitor and the computer's video card -- so unless I reduce the color combination to Black, White and Red -- someone will always see something other than what was intended -- it is the nature if the beast. Throw in color defective vision and something that seems simple can quickly turn into a mine field of user complaints.

That said, I have reduced the color depth of the primary color in hope that that will average out the color across different brands of computers. This new color is more "putty" and less "green."

Any other adjustments would require a design makeover.

Jim

By LOHENGR1N On 2010.04.24 16:11
Don't like the change, old color was just fine for Me it had been for years. Just My opinion. You know there used to be sayings, adages like if it ain't broke don't fix it. Awhile ago We have a poll and changes were made here. More of a lets streamline the site and it resulted in a fragmentation of the board now there are three categories in which to post. I don't want to know who advocated for these changes, frankly don't care, just wondering about the seemingly drop off in posts, wondering if those advocates are all still posting here, (rhetorical = needs no answer).

Now with the change, if We start changing everything because one or a few complaints well, the color or the font and background or posting something of interest to others but not them on a general board? What will they do with all the unpleasantness and things they don't want or like that Parkinson's Disease is about to throw upon their plate? Ok, that's my vent, I should have posted on a different board than this one but then a month or two ago it would have been moved to another board, so I feel no guilt at all about posting here. Sorry if I have offended anyone I just had to say it. Now I have med's to take. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By karolinakitty On 2010.04.24 21:13
jsmitch is right when he says about colors coming through different.
I don't see green at all ...
Forum, home, help etc..... red
background ....gray
font ..... black .... If he changed it .. i sure don't notice anything.
I have to agree with Al if it ain't broke and its been functioning for years..leave it
I too have wondered if the loss in posts was due to categorization....
my "penny for my thoughts" :)

By dkleinert On 2010.04.25 03:39
Jim,
I like the color contrasts and find is very easy on the eyes. Too much color on many websites. Have always thought this one great. I agree - no need to change. Everyone's computer displays are different, so neutral is best.

By parkinit On 2010.04.25 11:05
I agree with the simplicity of what appears on my monitor black text on a grey background. It is hard pleasing all, webmaster. :) By the way, thank you for this site. It has provided much insight and information!

By hubb On 2010.04.25 12:23
Even though I don't always have time to post, I do make time to read them because I learn so much. Please don't change anything. We have enough changes in our lives just living with PD. I wonder if at times when there are fewer postings it's due to the fact that the viewer may be so busy there isn't time, or so distraught with this disease and how it affects the relationship of the family that you don't feel like putting it all down on a post. No matter what the reason, I'm sure we all read and learn and like the way the webmaster had it set up.

By anidaholady On 2010.04.27 16:41
The newest changes make it harder to read now, less contrast. I know you can't please everybody :) The old colors were fine for me, and the first set of changes was fine. Today I see black on gray and it's harder to read.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you